Slow Geforce 2?

Started by
25 comments, last by Lukerd 22 years, 2 months ago
Hi I'm sorry if this is OT but I have searched everywhere and I can't find a solution. I have a Geforce2 mx 400 (Supposed to be the faster version of the mx) and I expected programs to run fast with them and at first I didn't notice that they weren't. I mean Unreal Tournement runs at a decent frame rate and I wasn't bothered. But while running one of my programs noticed that with NOTHING being drawn the frame rate only gos up to 300fps. So I ran 3DMark 2001 and I only achieved 640 points. I searched the internet for benchmarks of similar machines and found that they had scores of 1100+. I am running Windows 2k, and I have the latest Detenator drivers and the latest Via 4 in 1 drivers. I only have an AMD k6-2 500 and an Via MVP3 chipset but my 3DMark scores should be higher than this. So if any of you have any possible solutions please tell me this is driving me mad. (Whats even more worrying is the computers at my college are performing better than mine) Oh and My motherboard only supports AGP 1x and 2x but the graphics card supports 2x and 4x does this make alot of difference to the speed? Thanks "To err is human, to really mess up requires a computer" Edited by - Lukerd on January 29, 2002 7:42:36 AM
"To err is human, to really mess up requires a computer"
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Lukerd
I am running Windows 2k, and I have the latest Detenator drivers and the latest Via 4 in 1 drivers. I only have an AMD k6-2 500 and an Via MVP3 chipset but my 3DMark scores should be higher than this.

I used to have a K6-II 500 Mhz also. I still have the Geforce 2 GTS that I had back then. When I upgraded to an Athlon on a DDR motherboard (not sure how big of a difference DDR made; I just wanted to invest in it while the prices were low) with AGP 4x (see below) my speeds more than doubled in some situations. It's mainly a bandwidth thing at higher resolutions.

Oh and My motherboard only supports AGP 1x and 2x but the graphics card supports 2x and 4x does this make alot of difference to the speed?

Yes, that could be responsible for as much as halving your score.

Edited by - Null and Void on January 29, 2002 8:10:19 AM
Thanks that was a quick reply. I thought it might have been something to do with Win2k. Guess this means an upgrade :D. That is unless there is any way of speeding it up that you guys know of?

I''m sending you a little (76kb) file which runs two threads - one for keyboard and mouse input, the other just for rendering. Press ecsape to exit it.

In the directory you run it from, there will be two .txt files - one shows the display modes for your grapics card, the other shows the average FPS.

On my machine ,PII 350 (@ 392mhz) 512Mb PC100 I get the following FPS

Geforce 256 DDR - approx 1390 FPS
Geforce 2 MMX 200 - approx 960 FPS

The difference is accounted for the DDR Memory on the 256.

Let''s us know what the FPS is.

Regards
Thanks that was a quick reply. I thought it might have been something to do with Win2k. Guess this means an upgrade :D. That is unless there is any way of speeding it up that you guys know of?

The only version of Windows I''ve allowed on my machine for a long time is Win2K, so that''s what my comparisons are based on. Win2K does fine for games, so I keep it around.

PS - if it doesn''t work let me know - I might need to recompile it
Thanks alot!!!

I''ll try that tonight (I''m at college at the moment)
and Ill post back tommorrow. I really wasn''t expecting so many replies so quickly.

Thanks Shag

I used your program and the fps went up to the grand(sarcasm) score of 433fps. Something has gotta be wrong thats half your score on a faster processor. I cant believe the AGP speed can make that much difference, can it?

The k6-2 is an incredibly poor cpu. I have my doubts to whether it would be faster than the p2 350.

-----------------------
chain=chain->chain;
-----------------------"When I have a problem on an Nvidia, I assume that it is my fault. With anyone else's drivers, I assume it is their fault" - John Carmack
Well according to benchmarks and reviews the K6-2 is equivelent if not slightly better than the P2. mine is running at 504 mhz. Maybe youre getting mixed up with the Cyrix MII as these do run ALOT slower than a PII.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement