• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XaOs

Writing a plugin based engine!!!

This topic is 6013 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi!! I i am thinking of writing me a little engine for making demos! (I like demos ) And i though that maybe a plugin based one would be the cooles! So that when i am done, i would hardly ever need to change much in the core...if you get what i mean! But my problem is that i don''t have any experience in writing such an engine! I tried it once with the HL-SDK, and it was easy to use.....but i don''t know how to do it!! So if anyone got some great ideas, and can kick me in the right direction (towards a tutorial or something) that would be really great! Take Care! - -- ---[XaOs]--- -- - [ project fy ]

Advertisement
There was recently (last week or so) an article on GDNet about writing a graphics api independent graphics engine. That should contain the information that you need in order to get started on a plugin type architecture that allows you to create code modules that you can pick on the fly if you wish.
Alternatively, you could create a program that reads in the scene information from a data file, and then uses that infromation in order to render the scenes in your demo. Then all you would have to do in order to create a new scene is build a new data file, which you could create a utility to aid you with that. With this method, if you wanted to add a new effect, then it would involve changing the core graphics engine

j.w.

hmmmm....

I can''t seem to find that article.....
You don''t remember a little more presice where you saw it?

- -- ---[XaOs]--- -- -

[ project fy ]

Try flipcode.com

If you have a Radeon 8500, you should check out the demos on ATI''s web site, they''re based on their sushi engine and the whole variety of demos have text-based shaders which completely instruct the engine what to do.

I think this is the article you might be looking for http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1672.asp
Good Luck!

Edited by - DJ_GL on January 29, 2002 9:38:21 PM

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!