Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

XaOs

Writing a plugin based engine!!!

Hi!! I i am thinking of writing me a little engine for making demos! (I like demos ) And i though that maybe a plugin based one would be the cooles! So that when i am done, i would hardly ever need to change much in the core...if you get what i mean! But my problem is that i don''t have any experience in writing such an engine! I tried it once with the HL-SDK, and it was easy to use.....but i don''t know how to do it!! So if anyone got some great ideas, and can kick me in the right direction (towards a tutorial or something) that would be really great! Take Care! - -- ---[XaOs]--- -- - [ project fy ]

There was recently (last week or so) an article on GDNet about writing a graphics api independent graphics engine. That should contain the information that you need in order to get started on a plugin type architecture that allows you to create code modules that you can pick on the fly if you wish.
Alternatively, you could create a program that reads in the scene information from a data file, and then uses that infromation in order to render the scenes in your demo. Then all you would have to do in order to create a new scene is build a new data file, which you could create a utility to aid you with that. With this method, if you wanted to add a new effect, then it would involve changing the core graphics engine

j.w.

Try flipcode.com

If you have a Radeon 8500, you should check out the demos on ATI''s web site, they''re based on their sushi engine and the whole variety of demos have text-based shaders which completely instruct the engine what to do.

I think this is the article you might be looking for http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article1672.asp
Good Luck!

Edited by - DJ_GL on January 29, 2002 9:38:21 PM