Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AJWood

Functional Programming for games

AJWood    122
Some might say this belongs in the ''Game Programming'' forum but really its a more general issue. I read loads of articles on here, and elsewhere, and there are always heated arguments over whether C++ with object orientated design is better than pure C. Thats not to mention the hundreds of other posts regarding Java, Basic and a host of other languages. The one thing I have not come across is anyone who has ever even mentioned a functional progamming language, ML, or Haskell for example. I was wondering if anyone has ever considered, or even used, any lazy functional languages for games? Ok, I''d be very suprised if anyone has written a whole game in one of these languages. I know there is a Dutch(maybe German, can''t remember) group working on porting Quake(tm) to Haskell. I''m prepared to bet that game programming would have a lot to benefit from using these languages, but I''ll relent probably only for A.I. and maybe physics engines for now. Comments? Thoughts? Ideas? Anything? A Functional Programming convert

falsk    122
The port to Haskell for Quake is being done by Swedish.

I''m currently learning Haskell, and it certainly does have OpenGL bindings(incomplete as of now though). However, I don''t have benchmarks to show how suitable a program written in Haskell is, speed-wise.

I barely was able to download GHC yesterday without getting a bad checksum. Damn 56k

I think functional languages in general have potential in games.

Good luck!

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
For many years the scheme class at my university has revolved around the writing of a text adventure game.