Good old DOS

Started by
25 comments, last by BIOSME 22 years, 2 months ago
What is wrong with old DOS? Is it its limited 64 K segments? Use DOS4G or any extender. What else could stoped DOS game development? ---DRIVERS--- No hardware manufacturer is now supporting DOS. All vendors target the Windows platform as if it were the BEST for games. Windows works in the background and monitors every single event in your system which undoubtly decreases performance significantly. My opinion is why targeting window based platforms where video and input resources are not your game''s. Setting OGL in Windows is totally dependent on system specific function calls (wgl????). I''m sure it would be very much easier in DOS. Do you agree with me guys? Thanks.
Advertisement
On the list of reasons not to mourn DOS:
- near and far pointer hassles
- total lack of security
- single tasking

‘But truth's a menace, science a public danger.’ Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes." - the Laughing Man
I was one of the biggest DOS advocates just a few years ago. Even today, I still launch a command prompt to copy files rather than dragging and dropping.

But come on, let it go. DOS is DEAD. It''s not going to come back....ever...

Microsoft should have a online funeral for MS-DOS so those that still cling to it can finally have a release.

borngamer
-a horrible file system
-no driver layer
-practically non-existent memory management capabilities
-a useless UI

Personally, I like running more than one process at a time. YMMV.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
quote:Original post by borngamer
Even today, I still launch a command prompt to copy files rather than dragging and dropping.

The console/terminal isn''t DOS, nor is DOS the console. I''ve always been a command prompt person, and I doubt I''ll stop being one any time soon .

Weeelll Golly Gomer... I didn''t know that one.

No kidding.
Programming for devices sucked and the soundcard was especially EVIL. You always had to ask the player what IRQ they were using, like they #$#$# knew.

Graphics were ok, given that is was 13H, but can you imagine the nightmare of trying to do today''s 3D stuff? File that under "Forget it, would not happen!"
Hmmm, my DOS games that used glide on my old voodoo board looked pretty good (i.e. Grand Theft Auto)

Well, it WOULD have been possible to handle the
driver thing in DOS.

A good example that this worked is VESA.

But those traitors who saw DOS dying jumped
on the windows train, instead of helping it :-)

"LessBread":
But, far/near, lack of security, only in 16-bit mode, huh?
Ever tried 32-bit protected mode in DOS?

"Martree":
What do you mean by "horrible file system" ?
Is FAT32 SO much different?
Of course it''s better, but FAT worked too,
really don''t know what you mean by "horrible"

(programming DOS in 16 bit mode IS _horrible_

And there were some tries to make DOS multitasking
(well, not by M$, I mean DR-DOS 7)

However, it was good if you could turn off multitasking
environtment, or start the computer in a non-mt environment,
when you want it, to get the maximum performance out of
your machine for a single program (game?), and, when you want to do work, in a convenient environment, just restart the computer with this.

It would be possible.

quote:Original post by borngamer
Weeelll Golly Gomer... I didn''t know that one. No kidding.

I didn''t mean to be insulting . It''s just that you said it right after you said "I was one of the biggest DOS advocates just a few years ago." Many people (in general) seem to think "text based console, it must be DOS"; it''s a sore point of mine. I''m sure you see them too .

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement