Purchasing Development Software

Started by
27 comments, last by Jack P 22 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I had a question. Clearly, any software being used during development has to be purchased (such as Max 4, Photoshop, etc.). When does the software have to be purchased? Before actually using it, or before releasing a product that has used the software? Would someone be able to not purchase the software but still have a copy of it and use it to do work on a game and sometime during the development (definately before release of product), officially purchase it? Or does the software have to be purchased before any kind of work at all is done? I wanted to know about that. Thank You.
Advertisement
I dont know where you are from, but here (and probably the whole world) you have to buy (or license) the tools before you start working with them, I assume you are talking about using ilegal copies (piracy) to make your game/app and pay for em when you are ready to release your product.

Here (Costa Rica), you could get away with that, but anyone could point their finger at you, and get you audited, caught, and sent to jail for at least 3 years (who would point the finger? angry programmers,artists designers, the competence, that neightbour who never relly liked you, anyone you tell about your project is a treat).

there is an option here where you can turn yourself in, pay for the licences and everyone is happy, but why risk being turned in by someone else?.

Use The Gimp instead of photoshop (its superior anyway), mingw instead of VC++, and licence Milkshape or AC3D for your 3d needs, they''re both under $50, and avoid jail

or just use older versions. do you really NEED MAX version 4? i use version 3 and its absolutely fine. My copy of Photoshop is very old as well, but it does the job for the kind of stuff I work on.
Dont be trciked into thinking you need thousands of dollars worth of tools. But dont use warez, your only hurting fellow software developers.

http://www.positech.co.uk
I'd suggest Photoshop 5 or 5.5, and Milkshape (it's like $20.00 to register Milkshape and the program is great) or 3DSMax 3.

------------------------------
Simple DirectMedia Layer:

Main Site - (www.libsdl.org)
Cone3D Tutorials- (cone3D.gamedev.net)
GameDev.net's Tutorials - (Here)

OpenGL:

Main Site - (www.opengl.org)
NeHe Tutorials - (nehe.gamedev.net)
Online Books - (Red Book) (Blue Book)

Edited by - Drizzt DoUrden on January 29, 2002 5:26:46 PM
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
I dont think using older versions is an option, abandonware does not exists per se, companies still hold copyrights of all their software even if it is not making any profits, unless they release it as public domain you are still breaking the law.

Edited by - kwizatz on January 29, 2002 5:38:24 PM
I agree with Kwizatz's comment on using older software. It is still illegal to use 3ds max 3 unless you have paid for it. And I do not believe paid-up licenses are transferable. They might be, but you'd have to find someone willing to give up their paid-for license. And upgrades do not count as new licenses....really their is still just one license for the old and new version.

I'd recommend Blender for general 3D modeling work. It's darn nice, although it isn't perfect. For example, it supports IK and skinning for character animation, but as far as I know you do not have access to that information through their Python-based API. Its small yet extremely full featured, and runs on most platforms under the sun. For free. www.blender.nl

Graham Rhodes
Senior Scientist
Applied Research Associates, Inc.

Edited by - grhodes_at_work on January 29, 2002 5:41:16 PM
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
I think cliffski''s point was that old versions of software are going to be cheaper. I wonder where I could buy 3DS Max 3, though...
Umm.. the point is that the software is older. If it is older, it is cheaper. You don''t have to worry about price that way, so you can just purchase it the whole time.

You should never used illegal software.

------------------------------
Simple DirectMedia Layer:

Main Site - (www.libsdl.org)
Cone3D Tutorials- (cone3D.gamedev.net)
GameDev.net''s Tutorials - (Here)

OpenGL:

Main Site - (www.opengl.org)
NeHe Tutorials - (nehe.gamedev.net)
Online Books - (Red Book) (Blue Book)
------------------------------Put THAT in your smoke and pipe it
Thanks alot for the replies.

I guess cheaper programs are the best option. But I did have another question regarding 3D Studio Max:

Can a company purchase 3D Studio Max 4 license and allow for all employees to use it? I checked around discreet''s website and there isn''t any mention of purchasing multiple licenses. If a company purchases the license, do all employees working on the same project have the right to use the same product? Or does the product have to be purchased multiple times for each employee or each PC?

Thanks again.
I think for 3D Studio Max you have to pay a licence per seat, dont really know so don''t quote me, it has some server-client functionality, but I am not sure if thats to allow client workstations to run the program from the server or just to use the server as a the rendering machine, so you can work while other machine renders your movie.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement