ARGH, MSVC++ project problems

Started by
2 comments, last by razialx 22 years, 2 months ago
God, i hate visual programming, hehe, but anyway, i am having a problem with my projects in vc. i dunno why, i dunno what i am doing. I have a header file with the declarations of my functions, and i have a c++ file with the implementation of them, the h file is included in my stdafx.h file, when i compile my program, it says some error about unresolved external sybol and it has the function name with all the key characters that the compiler uses. Uh, help...
Advertisement
...Some more detail would help...

There are too many causes for this, tell us what you are doing. You may have forgotten to link to a LIB file, or the headers may be in the wrong order, etc etc.

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Click on the error message (once) and hit F1. Read.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
Looks from the original post like this would be a linker error; VC6''s linker does not give very helpful error messages, so I doubt F1 would help (I hear rumor this is improved in VC7).

If you have an unresolved external error, it means that you''ve declared a function and called it somewhere (or perhaps it is called implicitly, like constructors and destructors), but you have not defined the function (e.g. written its body in your .cpp file). If you have written the body of the function, it''s possible that you haven''t included the .cpp file in the project so VC doesn''t know to link with that file.

The name mangling isn''t very difficult to get around; just look for things that are familiar. If you posted the exact error message (which you should always do when asking for help here), I''m sure one of us could figure out the exact function it can''t find.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement