Character Customization and Story

Started by
10 comments, last by Landfish 22 years, 2 months ago
Of course you can just make the game, and when it''s finished go to a publisher. In that case they won''t complain and you can still have all the choices you want.

And there are also people who enjoy creating games for the fun of it, putting them on the net for free

---
Allow me to clear my head for once...
Stop polluting the air!
---Allow me to clear my head for once...Stop polluting the air!
Advertisement
i''ve been toying with an idea similar to this for some time. i wouldn''t necessarily want to change the game to adapt to their stats, or something like that, but i would want the system to adapt to how the player plays the game. let the choices they make redirect the narrative to a way that might appeal more to the player.

as for how, well thats a bit tricky. a while ago i found a web page on the ''36 unique dramatic situations''. it lists these different situations, the variations within each situation, and the main characters. for example:

II Deliverance
"an unfortunate, a threatener, a rescuer"

A
i - appearance of a rescuer to the condemned
B
i - a parent replaced upon the throne by his children
ii - rescue by friends or by strangers grateful for benefits or hospitality

is just one. if you could find a way to reduce some or all of these situations into some kind of system, you might be able to not only randomly generate new game stories every time, but you could also move from story to story within the same game. for instance, as the character''s roles change and/or as situations get resolved new situations would arise based on the results of all previous situations.

this may be kind of an abstract description, but honestly i can''t really write anything more; i haven''t figured out quite how i could make such a system work. all i have is this idea, maybe thats helpful...

<(o)>
<(o)>

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement