Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gammastrahler

to all who develop quake-like engines

hi, i´m developing a quake-like engine, but more basic, but i have a question on those of you: how do you create your level geometry? i don´t want to program a level editor and i don´t want to code geometry coordinates from within my engine...

Well, for my engine (also first-person shooter), I made a small map, and coded all the geometry (the triangles) by hand (damn, that took a long time), but I''m making a map editor, just a simple one, in Visual Basic, to make my life easier and make some more complex and interesting maps.

I can''t actually see any other ways of creating level geometry, other than coding it yourself or using it a level editor...

iNsAn1tY - the place where imagination and the real world merge...
Try http://uk.geocities.com/mentalmantle - Now updated!

The only other option I can think of would be to make your engien compatible with somebody else''s level file format. But since you might as well use their engine too, it''s pointless; and anyway by the time you''ve figured out their format structure you might as well have made your own level editor.

At the moment I use 3ds max and export as an Ascii scene file. I''ve written a simple converter program that parses the file and writes it out in my own format. This is easy to do and is fine for a makeshift solution.

The only problem is that your engine will undoubtedly have constraints on the kind of geometry it can handle. 3d max obviously won''t impose those constraints so it''s down to the artist to be very careful about how they construct the level and impose those constraints themselves. But it''ll get you up and running and you''ll have defined a file format that you can write a level editor for later.

Galgiel.

I''d really like to grab the spec''s and a listing of the .rmf (rich map format) used by Worldcraft, but it doesn''t seem to exist...
-Jesse

A lot of people create what are essentially Quake3 (or 2 or 1) level viewers, which I never quite understood the appeal of, though it''s certainly a good step towards writing an original 3D engine. You can always look for documentation on the BSP file format and use that.

I suppose a simple option is to write the level geometry by hand, but express it in terms of walls (quads) and add a normal vector to indicate which side is out (very simple to do if all walls are at right angles). Then your engine can load that file and convert each quad to two triangles, using the normal to figure out whether it''s clockwise or counterclockwise.