Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lanman

Loading 3DS files

Please do you know how to get the vertexes from *.3DS file. Vertexes are for me the most important thing (with texcoords).I don''t need animation or anything else. Just the model. But I don''t know how to load it. I''ve tried to use a piece of code that someone send to this forum some time ago but it doesn''t work. It never ends. Just neverending loop. If you have any working code please send it to my email (lanman@email.cz). THANKS !!! btw: i''m using 3D Studio MAX 4 (If it does matter - i don''t know

Hi !
Have u try to read about the .3ds format first??.
if you really understud the format,
you should know how and were to get this vertex...

-= Let me know about the secrets about.... love =-

There are many sites about loading 3ds files.
www.gametutorials.com has a tutorial on it.
http://www.wotsit.org/ has info on the fileformat
www.lischke-online.de has a program that will show
the 3d data and the chunk data, not to mention code.
http://lib3ds.sourceforge.net/ has a library for loading 3ds files - this is probably the easiest solution.

Sorry for bringing up and old thread but how did it go Lanman ?

I''ve just started reading about the format on wotsit.org but would probably save me a bit of time if its been done.

If you need vertex, texcoord,indicies,normal and color array , you can use a file converter such as 3DWin4.
You import a .3ds file and you get as output the a\m arrays

If you need vertex, texcoord,indicies,normal and color array , you can use a file converter such as 3DWin4.
You import a .3ds file and you get as output the a\m arrays

It''s working cool! I''ve downloaded the tutorial from www.gametutorials.com...If anyone dont know how to load 3ds file as me a time ago, you shoud go there ! There are many other cool tuts ! Check it out !

BTW: But I have small problem with it...I''m usin my own 3d model created in 3D Studio MAX 4 and sometimes it raises an error "Invalid floating point operaion"...what''s that ? Some models are working and some not! I don''t know why...I''m making only simple models like chair and table.The chair is loaded well but the table not!I''m not using textures on the models and they are created only with using less than 100 triangles...any ideas ? Thanks !