Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bestel

use STL instead of node in the OGL programming book engine

Bestel    122
Hi, I would like to modify the object managment of the OpenGL programming Book's engine (A time to Kill). I would like to know what you think about to manage it with vector. Actually, all object class, terrain and player are derived from a class : CNode, which has a parent, child and brothers. For exemple, child of the terrain are all objects which are on this one, etc... When we want to render a frame, we go forward over all the linked list and call the Draw() function for each one. Do you think it will be really slower to use a container like a vector ? (i.e : terrain has a vector of all the object which are on this one) Edited by - bestel on January 30, 2002 2:45:53 AM

TonyFish    126
Yeah I've done exactly the same thing. It seems nicer to me but the real question is having a set of stl linked lists more efficient than the sibling pointers presented in the ogl game dev book. I would tend to think that the pointers are more efficient although conceptually i prefer the other solution, but how much more efficient would this be ? is it worth sacrificing that little bit of mem/cpu for a simpler more comprehensive implementation ?

Edit - What I mean by efficiency is having the whole stl linked list system linked as opposed to two little pointers which aren't particularly problematic to manage..

cheers

Tony

Edited by - TonyFish on February 13, 2002 10:00:13 AM