Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Strifey

How much math??

Strifey    122
hello, i am new to programmig and kinda stalled with no cash for boooks but thats not anything im asking now. my question is how much math is used in programing for games im currently in pre calculass and im a senior in high school, but ive done a little calculas in my physics class so how much in the three do you use?

mossmoss    326
Plenty -- all of computer science is based on mathematics.

Less abstractly, it depends on what you want to do. A good knowledge of discrete mathematics is good all around for general computer science.

For graphics (2D&3D), knowledge of linear algebra is essential. Matrics, vector spaces, etc...

Calculus can be quite useful too.

---- --- -- -
Blue programmer needs food badly. Blue programmer is about to die!

granat    122
For game programming math is GOOD !

Me 10 years ago:
"Math !!! Math !!?? I don''t need no stinkin'' math !!!!"

Me now:
"Oh...That''s what I needed it for.....DAMN !!!!!!"

Dark    122
Well... If you ask me... math is essential... I have finished math classes for Calculus I & II, Lineair Algebra, Discrete Math and Algebra, Algebra, Graph Theory, Logic for CS and some other math classes... I think they are really usefull... however DO NOT THINK that if you can''t do these math classes that you can''t do programming. In my opinion it contributes to your general sense of what is going on... but you do not have to understand everything in order to use it (I mean... you can use math tricks just as well without understanding how it works, but it still is better to understand).

Secondly... Not only do you use pure math in programming... but knowing a bit about the math increases your insight into other situations (which don''t seem to be involved with math at all)

Email: e.j.folkertsma@student.utwente.nl

Tac-Tics    197
I agree with Space Torn entirely. I started really concentrating on upping my programming skills at the start of second semester this year. As I was trying to build my first game, I realised I had to go back in my textbook and re-teach myself vecotrs and matrices =-/ IMHO, they should start teaching programming in conjunction with math when you get to algebra in school, because after algebra-level math, applications to "real" life vanish, and it is only in the abstract world of programming (and maybe in Phyisics and such) does one really appriciate all those weird rules for numbers.

"I''''m not evil... I just use the power of good in evil ways."

Strifey    122
ahhh tat all that matrh is for!! up till last year i couldnt stand math to well but now i understand it only on test days i go blank. My physics class in High School realyhelped me out a lot.Torn Space what general equations usualy come to use in physics? well thank you all for responding,and answering my question..
Strife

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Maths is good. I program in Fortran and I respect it fully , everything broken down , I like creating the least CPU and memory eating program to solve maths calculations, something intresting and new I always find in a "Introduction to theory of numbers books". So maths is THE key , and its a big golden ( platignum ) key.

FORTRAN - for those who do not know is a programming language...