Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biberpelztrompete

Debugging with MSVC++ in Win2000

Recommended Posts

Every time I set a breakpoint in my code VC++ stop at the desired position. But it seems that it would use 101% of CPU time so I when I press a button or move the mouse it takes about a second until the event occurs. After about 20 sec the status is normal again and everything is fine. The same problem occurs when I execute the program step by step ( F10 key ). After executing one line of code it takes 20sec to get operational again. Sometimes it takes very very long to run the program, cause VC++ saves all files first. This takes sometimes 30sec ... for 2 or 3 files... I know this problem is quite strange. Any solutions though ? thx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This is just a shot in the dark, but buying more memory might help. If you only have something like 128 MBs, then you probably need more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This problem seems to show up if you''re using DirectInput for reading the mouse (happens in our games and the DX samples). If the mouse is acquired when your breakpoint is reached then things tend to go a bit funny (mouse movement is very jerky, etc.).

The delay when saving all files could be because DevStudio is refreshing the dependencies for you project. The only thing that will speed this up is more RAM and a faster CPU.

Iain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still occasionally get behaviour like that...when you set a breakpoint and all of a sudden your CPU usage jumps to 100% and stays that way for a bit.

I have found that if you [ALT]+[F9] (Edit Breakpoints) and remove existing breakpoints, then add back the ones you want, this behaviour seems to go away, at least for a while..

-Z

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites