Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OpenGL question

This topic is 5795 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i know DirectX fairly well, but i'd like to start learning OpenGL. Anyone recommend any books or sites? Specifically, i'm not worried about working with a 3D world quite yet. i'm writing a GUI .dll, and i'd like to see what i can do with OpenGL in the way of creating windows, controls, etc. i only program in C++ Thanks! (p.s. i've never touched the stuff, so consider me greener than green). Edited by - the_grip on January 30, 2002 10:59:38 AM

Guest Anonymous Poster
get the red & blue book ... really cant go wrong with the red book.

are you looking to recreate a windows type environment with a graphics api? thats an awful lot of work... :o

unless you have a good reason to go this way, i would suggest just subclassing the standard controls and let windows to the rest...
if you know your win32/mfc, you can go a long way in this regard!

For the moment, i'm thinking of replacing the graphics that windows typically draws (i.e. comboboxes). i would like to offer OpenGL as a way to do it in my .dll, since it might offer more options and better looks than straight-up windows graphics (and might be a bit faster). On top of all that, i'd get to learn to use OpenGL a bit.

Edited by - the_grip on January 30, 2002 11:55:58 AM

OpenGL SuperBible is very well written and is perfect for newbies. If you look around the Web, you can find an electronic version of the first edition. I''m not sure if this is being distributed legally though. Anyways, I eventually bought a physical copy to remove any guilt...