Mesh/Geometry loader for D3D 7?

Started by
7 comments, last by Cybertron 22 years, 2 months ago
Hi there, this is my first post. In the past week I picked up D3D 7 for my game, and have been able to make squares and triangle, but there is no code anywhere for loading meshes like in D3D 8! Does anyone have any info about a 3d geometry loader for D3D 7? I need 7 because it uses DirectDraw for displaying, so I can use 2D aswell as 3D
Advertisement
PLZ!!
can´t you use both? I believe that the directX8 still have the DirectDraw7 thing. And can''t you use the direct3D for the 2D? what you have to do is a square with two triangles that always face the camera, and aplly the bmp you want to show as a texture.
It´s harder than using DirectDraw, but you can make a lot more stuff in it. About the load mesh... I have no idea, I believe I''m a bigger newbye than you.
I looked into the prospect of using D3D8 to do 2d graphics, but found the texture size issues (I have a voodoo3!) were too much of a problem to convert my existing game

DX7 on the otherhand, it was very easy add D3D support to Direct Draw, and both could be used at the same time!

there is a whole pile of stuff on OpenGL, but I seem to be stuck to DD and the C style of OGL doesnt appeal to me. maybe il just hack that to pieces and make my own format!
Just for the record, the DX7 docs (I''m not sure where - I don''t have them anymore...) strongly suggest that you should not mix DD and D3D. The reason is that there is a relatively high cost in switching. For instance, let''s say you had a 3D scene with a 2D HUD. The most efficient way to draw the HUD using 3D a la DX8.

If you still have the docs, you can probably hunt down the exact reference...

So, either way, it seems like you should be doing it the textured quad way, which means that you *could* move to DX8...
Author, "Real Time Rendering Tricks and Techniques in DirectX", "Focus on Curves and Surfaces", A third book on advanced lighting and materials
that''s true, if u mix directdraw & direct3d, your rendering speed will drop about 50%, terrible huh ?

i suggest u learn about "use D3D to render 2D", that''s really cool b''cuz u can do rotation & color blending in just few lines. :D
ohh 50% Can I use all DD in one scene and all D3D in another? just continually switching slows it down

I guess I can gradually phase out all the 2D code in the places where I use 3D
if u draw DD 1st then D3D, or D3D 1st then DD, the speed still drops ( i mean compare with pure D3D ), no solution.... until u switch all DD to D3D.... i tried, it was scared me like hell.....
Try the IDirectXFile interface

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement