New to Iso-programming - Pls help

Started by
2 comments, last by Peaceman 22 years, 2 months ago
Hi, I am very new to ISO programming, but while reading through tutorials, I came up with two questions I couldn''t find answered anywhere in the net. 1. Where is the difference between drawing a normal chess board, and then rotate it by 45 degrees, and 2. just wondering how many textures a tile-based game needs. Starcraft or Civilazation f.e. C ya
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Peaceman
1. Where is the difference between drawing a normal chess board, and then rotate it by 45 degrees,
I''m not sure I''m understanding what your asking for, so if I''m way out in left field, I''m sorry.

The basic concepts are the same as far as figuring out where things go on the screen, but you''ll want to make your characters and other objects appear to have a depth to them when you make them.
quote:and
2. just wondering how many textures a tile-based game needs. Starcraft or Civilazation f.e.
Tons. Blizzard had something like 20 artists working full time for years when they were drawing the graphics for StarCraft.

And how do I place buildings on a Iso-map? My first tests all looked very flat, but that could be a problem with my art.
An easy way to get around using 3D is to create the side & top textures, and then shear them, using a program like adobe Illustrator or Photoshop. This only works if you precalculate the angles of projection for each flat surface.

After you''ve done that, you just glue all the images together and set the background to your transparent colour.

George D. Filiotis
Are you in support of the ban of Dihydrogen Monoxide? You should be!
Geordi
George D. Filiotis

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement