Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Creating a window on a second monitor

This topic is 5798 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Say I''m running two grapics card in my machine. I want to be able to create OpenGL windows on both cards, To test whether they support accelerated pixel formats, and then let the user decide which card/monitor setup to use. How the hell do I do this?

quote:
Original post by Shag
Say I''m running two grapics card in my machine. I want to be able to create OpenGL windows on both cards, To test whether they support accelerated pixel formats, and then let the user decide which card/monitor setup to use.

How the hell do I do this?

I''m not sure but as far as I know, you''re not the one that actually decides, as far as I know, the user does. If there is a way, I''d also like to know...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

IDirect3D8::GetAdapterCount(void )

HRESULT IDirect3D8::CreateDevice(
UINT Adapter,
D3DDEVTYPE DeviceType,
HWND hFocusWindow,
DWORD BehaviorFlags,
D3DPRESENT_PARAMETERS* pPresentationParameters,
IDirect3DDevice8** ppReturnedDeviceInterface
);

HRESULT IDirect3D8::EnumAdapterModes(
UINT Adapter,
UINT Mode,
D3DDISPLAYMODE* pMode
);

HRESULT IDirect3D8::GetDeviceCaps(
UINT Adapter,
D3DDEVTYPE DeviceType,
D3DCAPS8* pCaps
);

Just for starters.

D.V.

Carpe Diem

to put it bluntly, openGL is not designed for systems with multiple video cards. openGL was not even designed to care if you had a video card. you cannot (to my knowledge) enumerate nor pick which video card you want to use (with opengl, though windows may have methods for that, but i doubt it since ms wants you to use dx and not opengl). it was designed to be cross platform, picking the video card is an OS dependent operation. you could (ppl are gonna complain) use d3d if you want this option since it is designed with this in mind. you get much more lower level fucntionality in picking the hardware then you do with openGL.

i am pretty sure you can only have one set of working opengl drivers at once and they can only be the primary video card. search the net, you may find somethign useful. if you do, please share with us.

Yes it can be done!

From the MSDN:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/gdi/monitor_53sj.asp

From the OpenGL FAG:

http://www.opengl.org/developers/faqs/technical/window.htm#wind0030

Although the OpenGL section is more vendor specific with respect to hardware acceleration.

Cheers