War tactics

Started by
3 comments, last by Witchcraven 22 years, 2 months ago
My game is based entirely on war tactics, no building structures and resource management, pure tactics. You can get more units, but much slower, so you cant just waste units in poorly planned battle. So, I need really good tactics in my AI, what do you guys know about tactics IRL(large scale, ambushes, guerilla(sp?), etc..). I need this AI to be really tough to outsmart.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
Advertisement
Most tactics work by exploiting weaknesses. The weakness might be the potential for confusion, or morale, or a less protected area, or so on. Either way, tactics are rarely useful unless applied to a given context. What kind of features does your game have that tactics could exploit?

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]
The primary weaknesses would be your formations, the positions of your groups, where your are moving, the terrain, etc.. You will almost always be on the offensive, trying to attack the enemy, so the enemy setting up defenses will play a large part. Ambushes will also play a large part. Also in-battle tactics will be the most prominent portion in some cases. Anything that applies IRL will apply. The AI is non-cheating, and will like you, need to send scouts to find your locations. Basically I need to compile a list of proven combat techniques on a large and small scale (including assasination and infiltration). Oh yeah, it is fantasy oriented, so electronic surveilance wont play a role.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
I forget where it is, but there is a post-mortem or a discussion excerpt regarding Microsoft''s Close Combat. They discussed some of the AI issues. I think it might be at Ferret''s site. www.gameai.com There were a couple of nice ideas in there.

Dave Mark
Intrinsic Algorithm Development

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

Dave Mark - President and Lead Designer of Intrinsic Algorithm LLC
Professional consultant on game AI, mathematical modeling, simulation modeling
Co-founder and 10 year advisor of the GDC AI Summit
Author of the book, Behavioral Mathematics for Game AI
Blogs I write:
IA News - What's happening at IA | IA on AI - AI news and notes | Post-Play'em - Observations on AI of games I play

"Reducing the world to mathematical equations!"

the complexity of an ai is based purly on the complexity of the environment. - - - keep this in mind - - -

information changes as scale changes. battles with many men are summed as strategic, while small battles are tactical; you need to have ai function on a strategic scale, and ai to function on tactical scales.

as far as getting a db of tactics, dont bother; you cant simulate the real world enough to make use of most of the theory.

you need to design your units, the environment, and all capabilities, ORIENTED around what tactics and strategy you want to be available.

for the most part, you would need a massivly scalled 3D environment, this would provide the greatest potential for tactics.

Kylotan stated the fundamental theory, you need to figure out how to design a game open to it... this is easy, whats hard is making it realistic.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement