Mip maps.

Started by
0 comments, last by PsycoBlade 22 years, 2 months ago
I had a few questions about mipmaps. The PR thing that turns on mipmaps (PR_Settings.UseHardwareMipmaps I think, I don''t have the documentation in front of me right now), does that also generate the mipmaps for textures. Also, it does it work on all graphics hardware, or do some cards not support mip mapping. I know when I used DDS textures and wen''t to the texture tool and selected "Generate Mip-Maps" my PR program would just mipmap automatically without any special mipmap instructions. I''m changing over to TGA now for compatibility reasons and I want to know the difference between DDS''s built-in mipmaps and having the program create mipmaps from a TGA. -Rich
Advertisement
PR_Settings.UseHardwareMipmaps controls the generation. It controls how many mipmap levels are generated for any textures loaded. 1 = no mipmaps, -1 = as many as possible, and anything greater than 1 is a specific number of mipmaps.

Most of the time you''ll set it to -1 and let it generate nice mipmaps for you. When rendering, if a texture has mipmaps they will be automatically used.

DDS textures are loaded directly into DirectX textures with no manipulation, so the DDS file can use pregenerated mipmaps and this settings isn''t used.

Chris
Author of Power Render (http:/www.powerrender.com)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement