Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

linus78

huge framerate loss with background

Hi, Im working on a OpenGL Game thats inspired by games like Astro. And today I added a background I just placed a huge untextured quad covering the entire screen behind everything else. And when I do this the FPS drops from: ~1700 to ~800 @ 800x 600 ~ 800 to ~300 @ 1280x1024 Is there something wrong or is there a quicker way to get a background for my game?

You are complaining about getting 300fps? It is called fillrate, get a better graphics card or realize that there is nothing wrong with 300fps.

The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster.
--EM Cioran

Opere Citato

yes its prolly fillrate
try your window at 100x75 if theres not a major framerate loss then it is fillrate.
possible methods to increase performce
turn off depth testing/writing/dithering/lighting/blending etc

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

I don''t know OpenGl, so my suggestions may or may not be appropriate. If u haven''t already make sure u draw the background quad last. And right before u draw the background quad, clear the rendering state of unnecessary stuff, (i think thats the right term) like alphablending... Another way to try (again i don''t know if its possible with OGL) is draw the background quad first, but disable the z-buffer, or set it to a z-write/z-fill mode. Then enable it and draw the rest of the scene.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-

Ok, thanks everbody. And btw I don´t complain with 300fps @ 1280x1024 I wondered because I thought the drop from 800fps to 300fps was very big.