Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

huge framerate loss with background

This topic is 5790 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, Im working on a OpenGL Game thats inspired by games like Astro. And today I added a background I just placed a huge untextured quad covering the entire screen behind everything else. And when I do this the FPS drops from: ~1700 to ~800 @ 800x 600 ~ 800 to ~300 @ 1280x1024 Is there something wrong or is there a quicker way to get a background for my game?

You are complaining about getting 300fps? It is called fillrate, get a better graphics card or realize that there is nothing wrong with 300fps.

The fanatic is incorruptible: if he kills for an idea, he can just as well get himself killed for one; in either case, tyrant or martyr, he is a monster.
--EM Cioran

Opere Citato

yes its prolly fillrate
try your window at 100x75 if theres not a major framerate loss then it is fillrate.
possible methods to increase performce
turn off depth testing/writing/dithering/lighting/blending etc

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

I don''t know OpenGl, so my suggestions may or may not be appropriate. If u haven''t already make sure u draw the background quad last. And right before u draw the background quad, clear the rendering state of unnecessary stuff, (i think thats the right term) like alphablending... Another way to try (again i don''t know if its possible with OGL) is draw the background quad first, but disable the z-buffer, or set it to a z-write/z-fill mode. Then enable it and draw the rest of the scene.

-potential energy is easily made kinetic-