Way to choose gamestate?

Started by
12 comments, last by BauerGL 22 years, 2 months ago
Just use switch/case...Slow ??? Hell no...I mean..you only do 1 pr. frame...That''s nothing..Come on...Computers are fast these days....
-------------Ban KalvinB !
Advertisement
Wow! So many replies, I never thought I would get this feedback in so short time, thank you!

What I''ve made out of this is, since I haven''t done anything with function pointers yet, I''ll try to wait with that. I''m going to try the "enum gamestate" way. So please correct this if I''m wrong:

enum gamestate { Init, Menu, Game, Exit, etc etc }

switch(gamestate)
{
case Init: Init_Funtion();
case Menu: Menu_Function();
}

and something like this:

if(key[VK_ESCAPE])
gamestate = Exit;

Did I get that right(except for the syntax)?

Thank you VERY much again!

/* The only difference between a genius and a madman is the success. */

@mikaelbauer

Super Sportmatchen - A retro multiplayer competitive sports game project!

I posted it all of that because software engineering is really tough to implement. I thought if i just gave him only a brief overview of what to do that he may still make mistakes that I''ve done in the past, so i just showed a rudimentary 3 module, 3 state game strucutre. Sorry to piss you guys off If anyone wants the original code feel free to email me at kking@digipen.edu .

- Kevin "BaShildy" King
Game Programmer: DigiPen
www.mpogd.com
- Kevin "BaShildy" KingGame Programmer: DigiPenwww.mpogd.com
quote:Original post by BaShildy
I posted it all of that because software engineering is really tough to implement. I thought if i just gave him only a brief overview of what to do that he may still make mistakes that I''ve done in the past, so i just showed a rudimentary 3 module, 3 state game strucutre. Sorry to piss you guys off If anyone wants the original code feel free to email me at kking@digipen.edu .

It''s not that serious. I just feel (very strongly) that it''s sometimes easier to communicate by saying less.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement