Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DX 8.1

This topic is 5799 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have several books on Direct x 7 that I''ve been reading through but I''ve read in several posts that DX8 is much easier and better and dosen''t even use DDraw anymore. I guess that makes me feel like all the books I have are somewhat obsolete. Where can I find some good books or tutorials on learning D3D and DX8.1? Or any knowledge you might have to getting started with the API might be helpful. I didn''t really learn much with DX7 yet I''m still pretty new to it but I thought I better learn the new version first. Thanks, Josh If the world didn''t suck we would all fly off!

I''ve found no books that Cover DirectX8.0, (except one, but it was so horrible that I actually threw it away). Your best bet is to go to microsoft.com/directx and click on developer. Then follow the tutorials that microsoft made. They are much more up to date and quite good.

www.drunkenhyena.com is good. there are a bunch of tutorials elsewhere too. nexe.gamedev.net is good. gamedev has a bunch. direct3D version 7 tuts usually work with 8, at least the ones I''ve tried. I don''t mean backwards compatibility. I mean that the code samples can be used in Direct3D8 and 7, like the multitexturing one. as for books, there''s a lot, look at amazon and stuff.

[Edited by - kmsixpence on October 17, 2005 7:48:22 PM]

Search thorugh gamedev''s tutorials, theres also quite a good one on gamasutra if you want to use the D3DXSprite library (good for 2D). On the book front, Special Effects Game Programming with DirectX is Dx8 based and it''s got a decent learning section.

It''s harder to get to grips with but as soon as you realise that vertices and textures replace surfaces things start to fall into place.

Not too sure how much the frame rates have been improved, i can''t use system memory otherwise DX goes skepto and won''t render surfaces properly, but while DX is managing memory it chuggs along nicley.

/* Ignorance is bliss, then you go and spoil it by learning stuff */

If you''re interrested in game programming I would recommend "Beginning Direct 3d Game Programming" written by Wolfgang Engel. It covers a lot of ground. You can find his web-site at http://www.direct3d.net

Regards,
Erik