different IP's on RR

Started by
2 comments, last by Hitchhiker90 22 years, 2 months ago
Ok, so I got RR (road runner cable) as an internet provider. I dual boot between win2k and linux. I was using the internet fine thru win2k, and i''m feeling saucey and wanting to upgrade my KDE on linux, so I boot into linux. Well, during the startup procedure while its bringing up eth0 it says it failed. So I log in, try to ifup eth0 a couple times, fails a couple more. So i''m like damn. I reboot into win2k, gets the ip address without a problem. Boot back into linux and it brings up eth0 this time. I''ve been using this same config for a week, haven''t had a problem til today. RR allows me 3 ip addresses, if I try to use more than that it won''t give an ip. Something to do with the cable modem itself that prevents this. I have noticed that I get a different IP address when I boot from win2k than when I boot from linux. This is all the same computer, same nic card, same mac address. Why would I get two different IP''s? All that is coming out of my computer should be a packet with my mac address just saying hey give me an IP address. Pretty much standard layer 2 and layer 3 stuff. Usually RR is good about giving the same IP address for a week. To sum it up, my questions are: Could this be a one time glitch in the linux tcp/ip stack? Could I have gone over the available IP address limit? (its been this way for a week without problems, no new machines hooked into the hub) Why is the IP address for win2k different than the one for linux? Hitchhiker90 "There''s one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay "What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Advertisement
Well, if you have two different IP addresses on your Linux and Windows and Windows works, try making the IP address in Linux the same as that in Windows. I have never heard of ifup, but apparently I have it on my machine, but not the man page so I can''t help you there. Use ifconfig

Try This:
Firstly, read the ifconfig man page (RTFM ; just kidding )

Then do ifconfig with all the necessary parameters like address, broadcast, interface, netmask, and if you can''t even get it to recognize the ethernet card then include irq and anything else you may need.

Next, try editing /etc/hosts do man hosts for information; also all the other network config files that might be on your machine. For example, if you don''t use DHCP then don''t have DHCP enable in your ifcfg-eth0 file. In red hat mine is in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0

Also try the ethernet howto or something simliar.
when rr gives you 3 ips, are you supposed to get them via DHCP or are they static? if they are not static you MUST use dhcp or bad things happen. win2k defaults to dhcp (at least i am pretty sure it did). double check your network config for win2k and make sure its exactly the same for linux (dhcp, ip, gateways, dns, etc). personally i have been running on rr with linux no problem, then again i have only a single ip.

you are not plugging your cable modem into your hub right? if you are this may be the problem. though i highly odubt (personally i think 2 nics are better then 1).

dhcp is probally the answer though.
Hey Gang,

I get my ip addresses thru DHCP. The box is configured for dhcp and uses the tulip driver as verified with linuxconf. This box is connected straight to the internet, no nat translations or anything, and has only one nic. It goes something like this:

Internet --> Cable modem --> Hub --> Computer

Perhaps I caught it during a lease renewal of the ip. I''m just gonna pass it off as a one time glitch for right now. I am going to keep an eye on it and see if it behaves abnormally again. I''ve built other linux boxen and never had a problem before. The only thing I''m pondering now is why I would get a different IP address thru linux than win2k.

Thanks for all your input.

Hitchhiker90
"There''s one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay
"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand
Hitchhiker90"There's one bitch in the world, one bitch with many faces" -- Jay"What are you people, on dope?" -- Mr. Hand

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement