Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Xorcist

DirectX / Win2k (Help Please)

Hi, I recently setup a machine with Windows 2000, installed MS VC++ 6.0 plus the latest service pack, and threw on the Direct X 8.1 runtime. My plan was to work through some of the examples in Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Guru''s. However I know they were all done using Direct X 6.0 (And 8.0 supposedly doesn''t use direct draw anymore). How should I approach my programming? Should I install the 8.0 or the 6.0 SDK? I''m kinda new to the whole realm of Direct X, but I have a few good books that cover it (version 6.0 anyways). Would it be better for me to buy a book on 8.0, and adapt the examples to fit? Any advice and or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

DirectX is backward compatibility meaning that if you install version 8.1 you also get all of version 6 and 5 and so on. Even though 8.1 itself isn't 6, it still includes it.

As for the approach, still learn dx6. I still use it, especially in my software rendering engine. You may or may not make one but I like 6 much more than 8 for quick 2d demos. Then learn 8 after you have larned 6 by buying a book or two

[Edited by - kmsixpence on October 17, 2005 7:20:08 PM]

So I can install the 8.1 SDK and still program in a 6.0 style, and it''ll work. Cool, that''s exactly what I needed to know. I thought it might have only been backwards compatible on the runtime side.