Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ledurus

[java] java 2d overall map library

ledurus    122
hi, just getting started in game development. i want to come out and say i hate graphics programming. is there a basic overhead java-based scrolling library around anywhere? my google search turned up empty. i have some zelda-looking graphics (not-ripped), but i''ll be damned if i can get them on the screen. i''m much better at the backend stuff (networking, db, ai, etc). if i can get a little help on the graphics that would be great.

Jim_Ross    122
I have searched for years for the same thing. I started one, but moved to python for speed reasons. (atcually GC reasons). Let me know if you find one.

borngamer    204
I''ve been working on something similar in my Spare time. It''s going to be a Java 2 (1.4) based 2D graphics engine with collision detection.

You can see some information on my development site at 0to1.borngamer.com. The Milestones are a bit out of date and need to be re-evaluated, the the rest of the information is pretty current for the most part.

I''m still month''s away from getting anything presentable ready, but when I am I''ll be looking for testers. Any testers I choose will of course be entitled to a free license of the engine when complete. Keep an eye out on the site listed above for my "Call for Testers". Once it comes it will be limited availability. I''ll also post a request here as well.

I plan on writing a few games with this engine so I''ll be putting a fair bit of functionality into it. The idea behind it is a I want something that I can use to create any type of 2D game no matter the genre.

I also plan on selling licenses to the completed engine at a price affordable to the hobby developer. I''m not sure what that price will be, but it will be something affordable (which means under $150 US but more than $50 US).

borngamer

Guest Anonymous Poster   
Guest Anonymous Poster
Have a look at www.javagamming.org. I think they have a 2D scroller Java demo available with source. It is possible that the demo requires Java 1.4. A quick browse thru sourceforge.net may also turn up some Java 2D scrolling examples.