BSP trees

Started by
3 comments, last by Dwiel 22 years, 2 months ago
If I create a BSP tree, and want to draw each face from front to back (thats what a bsp tree will help with right?), do I have to make a billion DrawIndexedPrimitive() calls, because that seems like it would just slow it down even more, or do you change the order of vertex buffer, or what? I just dont seem to understand how you instruct D3D what order you wnat it to draw your faces, and change that order frequently. Thanx alot Zach Dwiel ~ Tazzeld
Advertisement
I just made a map system. The vertices are grouped together by the texture they use. This minimizes DrawPrimitive() and SetTexture() calls. I will soon implement BSP so I only have to render what I see.

Proceeding on a brutal rampage is the obvious choice.
___________________________________________________________Where to find the intensity (Updated Dec 28, 2004)Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)
I guess what I really meant was HOW do I display may BSP tree? A BSP tree sorts the faces in order from closest to farthest or farthest to front, but my question how do I tell DX the order I want it to display them.

Thanx alot.

I never seem to explain things well.

Try again me.
quote:Original post by Tazzel3D
If I create a BSP tree, and want to draw each face from front to back (thats what a bsp tree will help with right?), do I have to make a billion DrawIndexedPrimitive() calls, because that seems like it would just slow it down even more, or do you change the order of vertex buffer, or what? I just dont seem to understand how you instruct D3D what order you wnat it to draw your faces, and change that order frequently.

Thanx alot

Zach Dwiel ~ Tazzeld

You can order your VB/IB, but if your render frond to back (or any order) you need to change texture too often, and the recent GPU don''t like this way. Consider, rendering by texture and enable z-buffer, use just pvs culling if your bsp have any.

Thanx alot.

P.S.

I am looking in the article section right now so, well, yeah hopefully there should be some pvs stuff there

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement