Low framerate

Started by
13 comments, last by TheRealMAN11 22 years, 2 months ago
My game (its more like a test demo now). Only runs at 7 fps using sdl. I am only blitting a background and a sprite. When I just blit the sprit and what was changed behind the sprite it runs at a respectable frame rate (like 40 fps or something) so should it run that slow when I blit the whole background? Or is there something I am doing wrong. It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool. Matthew WebMaster www.Matt-Land.com All your Xbox base are belong to Nintendo.
It is foolish for a wise man to be silent, but wise for a fool.
Advertisement
sounds like something is definitely wrong. what platform and hardware are you running on?
i686, Debain, kernel 2.4.17-686

If I just update the area that changed (where the sprite was) it works, but before I made a class for the player it ran fast enough blitting the entire background at once.

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com

All your Xbox base are belong to Nintendo.
Do you have the latest drivers for your video card? Even if you don''t, that framerate seems excessively low... You''re positive there''s no renegade processes hogging CPU time or something?

rm -rf /bin/laden
I am running a pII 233, but I know before I implmented that class it was running fine.

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com

are all your tiles in VRAM?
what resolution? if you are running at anything above 800x600x32 you wont get higher then 11 or so frames per second blitting an entire screen over the bus. the cpu is just too slow and the bus too narrow,
the last question, you are only drawing what is on the screen right?
What kind of videoboard dou you have?
You specified the SDL_HWSURFACE flag when you created the SDL surface did you?

A 640x480x16 give me a smooth animation on a Celeron550 and a Voodoo3 so something is definitely wrong in your case.
I am running in 640x480 and my video card is a bit dated, (old ati rage something 2meg)

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com

Thanks for the help you all, I think I will just update the changed parts of the screen.

Matthew
WebMaster
www.Matt-Land.com

I think I found the prolem: Your ATI 2mb videoboard.
My first computer was a PII 233mhz and an ATI rage 2MBram and the first game I bought for it was a Formula1 simulation and it was sloooooooooow and was suspended every 10 secs or so.
Things improved drasticly when I just replaced the ATI with a Voodoo Banshee that has at least 8MB ram ( could even be 16 mb but I''m not sure ).
So it looks like your problem is a lack of RAM on your vide board.
I highly suggest to try it with a "decent" videoboard.Of course it wouldn''t hurt if you could upgrade the processor too.
Now to make it clear, I have nothing against ATI and at that time I was a newbie in the conputer field and of course didn''t know about Arstechnica and was not making any difference between a retail 8MB videoboard and the same cheap 2MB OEM version. They were both ATI rage.
Good luck

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement