My first game. Play it and feel better about yourself :)

Started by
12 comments, last by SpaceRook 22 years, 2 months ago
Hi all. I have posted my second game to the web (it''s the first I''ve made available to the public). I am not a good artist, so I had to go for an intentionally low-rent style. It''s a beginner effort, but I''d like any comments or suggestions. You can get it here: http://people.ne.mediaone.net/lfour/PaperShredder/ Should I submit it to the GD Showcase? Thanks to everyone who answered my questions in this and other forums over the past weeks. I plan to start another game soon (either Space Invaders or Asteroids. Probably the former). I learned a lot from making this game and am eager to apply that knowledge. Good luck and good gaming to everyone.
Advertisement
I''m running this on an AMD 1.4GHz, and the speed of the game is so fast that it''s nearly unbearable. I''d suggest locking a frame rate using GetTickCount(). This little bad note aside, I think it''s a great effort. The art is a lot better than you gave credit for. It has this chalk look that you don''t see anywhere else. Keep up the good work.

LyL Fox
quote:Original post by LyLFox
I''m running this on an AMD 1.4GHz, and the speed of the game is so fast that it''s nearly unbearable. I''d suggest locking a frame rate using GetTickCount(). This little bad note aside, I think it''s a great effort. The art is a lot better than you gave credit for. It has this chalk look that you don''t see anywhere else. Keep up the good work.

LyL Fox

Thanks for your suggestions. I have a 1.4 GHZ system too, and I think we are getting the same speed. The ball is supposed to be pretty fast: you are going to miss it every once in awhile (and the FPS is locked in at 60 FPS).

But you''re point is well taken. Perhaps there should be another set of options to determine ball speed. The problem is that when you are using the mouse, you can move the paddle VERY fast, so the ball has to be pretty speedy to put up a good challenge.

That ball sure does like to go fast. It does make it a challenge, but you should still make it at least remotely possible to get a score above 0 Either that or I just suck.

The look of the game was really nice too, very easy to look at.
Awesome game.
Graphics were fun (I like the scribbled look), Only problem is, the balls moves jittery when it starts going really fast (Same with paddle). Other then that, it''s fine.

REACTIONS -
When it started off slow, I was like "Aw man, boring." (I was expecting a slow game). But then, it hit the paddle and the "Here we go now!" voice kicked in, and I said out loud to myself, "Oh, Hell Yeah!"

And the game was on. I finished with a whopping -306 :/

It''s all good though. I''ll have to keep at it.

-AfroFire
AfroFire | Brin"The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education."-Albert Einstein
BTW, here are two screenshots:

SpaceRook - This was your second game??? Wow, not bad at all. I too like the crayon-like graphics. I like the "Here we go" voice that starts everything up. The speed and explosion sounds makes the game pretty intense. Thumbs up from me bro. One of the funnest breakout clones I''ve played.

- Free Your Mind -
- Free Your Mind -
heh, thats a cool game you got there, fun to play. the ball goes insanly fast. perhaps slowing the ball down a bit and changing the scoring system. like instead of only getting 5points for hitting a block and minus 100 for missing the ball- as it is it seems impossible to get over 0 as the score.

but yeh, its cool- its got playability.

the "here we go now" at the start amuses me everytime

also, if you was to make it do the ball bounces of the paddle at different angles depending on which part it hits (i.e if its hits one of the corners it should bounce of at a small angle and move faster)it would be cool. and at the start, when the ball drops to begin, it always goes to the right, maybe if you make it a random thing so it either goes to the left, right of drops straight down from the center. just an idea. and maybe some background music.

odd... Doesn''t run at all on my machine.
P3 733
128 MB Ram
Intel 82815 video card
It sucks I know, it''s my work machine
But I will definately take a look at it when I get home to my regular machine.

Always remember, you''''re unique. Just like everyone else.
Always remember, you''re unique. Just like everyone else.Greven
Damn, nice yo. I love that voice, nice job.
B00

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement