Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about 3D Levels

This topic is 5796 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Im currently reading Peter Walsh''s The Zen of Direct3D Game Programming and am reading about Mesh''s and Textures. A thought popped up into my head. How are 3D buildings, like an office, created? An office that is textured inside and out, with objects(lights and materials) on the inside? Would that be like a Mesh made in 3D Studio Max (or other program) then converted to a X file and loaded? Or am i just totally off? Thanx ahead.

> Would that be like a Mesh made in 3D Studio Max (or other program) then converted to a X file and loaded?

> Or am i just totally off?

You''ve basically got it.

Using Max (or any 3d package) to create the geometry is common for games. Max can export in ascii format, you then have a util that converts that into whatever format your game needs. That is then read in by the game and rendered, etc.

Another option is to write your own editor that directly outputs to the required format for the engine.

Which is better? It can be argued either way - it all depends on what youre looking for.

Hope this helps

> Onme more thing if anyone could post a link about 3d levels or what not

Not quite sure what you mean by this, can you expand a bit?

Do you mean implementation (ie bsp tree), storage on disk, etc?

Well I am new to this. So I''ll try to explain what im looking for. Im looking for anything on the creation of levels using 3D Studio Max ( or any 3D program ), how to use them in the game, or how to add objects to them to. Just basically a tutorial i guess you could say that starts from the creation of the 3D Geometery to the full fledged finished geometery with textures and lighting. Hope that explains what im looking for a bit more.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You could use Worldcraft or QERadiant to create levels. They are both freeware and used to create maps for Quakes (1,2,3).