Welcome OS X

Started by
15 comments, last by Witchcraven 21 years, 10 months ago
We should all welcome OS X to the official unix and Open Source game development forum. I have used it a lot , mostly for programming, and it beats every other OS I have used IMO (yes, even linux, I am writing this on linux(linux still rocks too) so dont flame me.). It is based of BSD 4.4, Mach 3.0, and something else. It has the best GUI I have ever seen, and the kernel(darwin) is open source and free. There is even an X implementation for it, but who would want to use it when you have aqua though. Plus it has a series of nice clean programming frameworks. Welcome OS X!
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
Advertisement
quote:Original post by Witchcraven
We should all welcome OS X to the official unix and Open Source game development forum.

Welcome

quote:
There is even an X implementation for it, but who would want to use it when you have aqua though.

Maybe you would want to use X to use X programs , or maybe because you are one of those everything must be free zealots and don''t want to use OS X''s proprietary gui.
quote:Original post by Floppy
Maybe you would want to use X to use X programs , or maybe because you are one of those everything must be free zealots and don''t want to use OS X''s proprietary gui.

... in which case you probably wouldn''t be running proprietary Apple hardware
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Isnt all major computer hardware proprietery. You cant re-compile a CPU. NVIDIA does not release the secrets of nforce.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
you can go and buy parts from different manufacturers and make your PC from the ground up, so in that sence you still have a choise.

I can walk into a store and buy all the parts I need to build a PC. I can buy any individual part from more than one company. I don''t have to pay a premium for colored plastic and features I don''t need. Can the same be said for Apple? *That''s* what I mean by proprietary.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
I actually considered downloading one of the Darwin ports to the x86 a bit ago, but then I thought about it: Since you don''t get Aqua, what''s the point?

Seriously, though, OS X seems awesome, and it really makes me want a Mac. Who knows, maybe Apple will be nice and make an x86 port of Aqua for us :D

rm -rf /bin/laden
You mean you dont have the Mac looking ATX cases and monitors up there?
its a strange world we live in
Luv Mac OS X. Plan to purchase a PowerMac G5 or a new IMAC late this year of early 2003 to compliment my Dell Inspiron 8000 laptop and PS2 running PS2 Linux(Soon).

Edited by - KwamiMatrix on February 14, 2002 2:00:43 AM
Edem Attiogbe
I installed OS X on my Mac a couple of weeks ago and it sure rocks!
Aqua is so neat!
BTW, is it possible to compile Mac applications on a PC? Cause I don''t have a compiler on my Mac. Also, if I would buy a compiler, is Code Warriors the way to go?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement