• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gamekeeper

performance...OGL...DX...

This topic is 5979 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What is best for graphics programming (strengths and weaknesses), Direct3D or Open Graphics Library? (GK)
Message from above: Damn, my hair is grey!

Advertisement
Three reasons actually:

1. OpenGL is designed only for graphics programming, whereas DirectX is also designed for sound, input, etc... as well. This means that OpenGL needs to be the ultimate language in graphics programming, with the better syntax and possibilities, if it is to be able to compete with DX. And it is.

2. OpenGL 2.0 is almost here.

3. Ever wondered why John Carmack''s engines are the best?

lol. because your in the OpenGL forum.

To the vast majority of mankind, nothing is more agreeable than to escape the need for mental exertion... To most people, nothing is more troublesome than the effort of thinking.

Will those stupid questions asked by brainless people ever end ?

(the reply pic says it all)

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-

quote:
Original post by Ingenu
Will those stupid questions asked by brainless people ever end ?

(the reply pic says it all)

Ingenu, I bet you asked the same thing when you started.

As an answer to the question: I tried both, and I think there are not a lot of differences. In my opinion OpenGL is easier to use (well, mostly the set-up is easier, the rendering code is almost similar) and I think it''s a little bit nicer/faster than Direct3D. (Of course this really depends on the programmer. But if you look at Counter-Strike, the OpenGL mode is a bit faster and better looking than the Direct3D mode. Just an example)

On the other hand, Direct3D has the effect point sprites, which gives Direct3D an advantage on particle engines. Also, if you use DirectX for input, music, etc. (which would be wise) it might be easier to use DirectX for graphics too.

A minor con to DirectX (I think) is you have to learn a "new" (a bit different) language each time a new version comes out, which is quite often. Of course, often making new versions is also a good thing!

The differences are not really big. I advice you to try the basics of both, and continue with the one you like most. You can also learn both, which may seem really dumb, but they''re much like eachother so it''s not really that much extra work. The best way is to try them for yourself, really. There are many different opinions on which one is "best".

I used Direct3D, but switched to OpenGL. I found Direct3D quite hard to understand and when I saw OpenGL it was all clear to me from the first moment. I found it a lot easier than Direct3D.

IF you choose DirectX though, use the latest version. If you start learning DirectX7 you''re definetly on the wrong way...

If I had to choose for you, I''d say OpenGL. But don''t listen to that, try for yourself

Myopic, if you read this, i highly reccomment you get my article online ASAP if for no other reason than to stem the incessant flow of topics like this.

-----------------------------
The sad thing about artificial intelligence is that it lacks artifice and therefore intelligence.

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!