performance...OGL...DX...

Started by
26 comments, last by Gamekeeper 22 years, 2 months ago
>>On my machine D3D is more than twice faster <<

then the problem lies in your opengl code

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html
Advertisement
OpenGL on my linux box beats the crap out of D3D and OpenGL on windows.On some systems, the windows implementation is faster or the same speed. There are so many factors that could change performance its not even worth trying to find which is better. The only reason I swing to GL is because:
a)Portable
b)It was originally made by SGI, a company devoted to graphics
c)It is easier for me.
d)I dont like Microsoft that much
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved
> then the problem lies in your opengl code

It doesn''t. I''m not exactly an OGL newbie. And i''m not saying D3D is always faster. I just gave a counter-example to your "perfect world" theory.

Y.
I don''t know about Ati (though it might have changed with their latest vertex array object extension), but when talking about nVidia, facts are clear: OpenGL is faster.

I''ll just quote Matt Craighead from nVidia: "A decent VAR/fence implementation will easily outperform both D3D7 and D3D8 on dynamic geometry." (read it here: http://www.opengl.org/discussion_boards/ubb/Forum3/HTML/001606.html).

The quote is already a bit older, but still 100% true.

- AH
quote:Original post by Witchcraven
d)I dont like Microsoft that much

I think thats good reason to use OpenGL
I don''t like too.
quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
OGL is not a language...

OpenGL has specific syntax (glBegin() ... glEnd()) and Vocabulary like any other language, so it actually is a language.. a slang kinda :o)

cya,
Phil

Visit Rarebyte!
and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this questions a few times over in the states )
Visit Rarebyte! and no!, there are NO kangaroos in Austria (I got this question a few times over in the states ;) )
On my computer the OpenGL version of Unreal Tournement runs alot faster than D3D and it looks better.
"To err is human, to really mess up requires a computer"
on some games dx beats OpenGL, but that doesn''t mean anything.

the thing that determines if dx or OpenGL is better in a game, is only how much they worked on each other.

i.e. OpenGL beats the crap out of dx on games like Q3, half-life, hitman, etc.

but dx wins sometimes too. but that''s only cuz they''ve worked on it more than they worked in OpenGL.

thanks,
shurcool

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement