Compile Errors (Again .. Again, Big Hug)

Started by
1 comment, last by Greg Lawrance 22 years, 2 months ago
After reinstalling Visual Studio 6 again on my XP machine, I am constantly getting compile errors with the game tutorials such as the following example from Lesson 8 :- Compiling... DirectInput.cpp i:\languages\nehe''s game programming\lesson 8 3d movement_files\lesson07\shining3d.h(410) : error C2146: syntax error : missing '';'' before identifier ''lpdi'' i:\languages\nehe''s game programming\lesson 8 3d movement_files\lesson07\shining3d.h(410) : error C2501: ''LPDIRECTINPUT8'' : missing storage-class or type specifiers i:\languages\nehe''s game programming\lesson 8 3d movement_files\lesson07\shining3d.h(410) : error C2501: ''lpdi'' : missing storage-class or type specifiers i:\languages\nehe''s game programming\lesson 8 3d movement_files\lesson07\shining3d.h(411) : error C2146: syntax error : missing '';'' before identifier ''lpdiKeyboard'' i:\languages\nehe''s game programming\lesson 8 3d movement_files\lesson07\shining3d.h(411) : error C2501: ''LPDIRECTINPUTDEVICE8'' : missing storage-class or type specifiers i:\languages\nehe''s game programming\lesson 8 3d movement_files\lesson07\shining3d.h(411) : error C2501: ''lpdiKeyboard'' : missing storage-class or type specifiers i:\languages\nehe''s game programming\lesson 8 3d movement_files\lesson07\directinput.cpp(35) : error C2065: ''DirectInput8Create'' : undeclared identifier i:\languages\nehe''s game programming\lesson 8 3d movement_files\lesson07\directinput.cpp(36) : error C2065: ''IID_IDirectInput8'' : undeclared identifier i:\languages\nehe''s game programming\lesson 8 3d movement_files\lesson07\directinput.cpp(36) : error C2065: ''lpdi'' : undeclared identifier i:\languages\nehe''s game programming\lesson 8 3d movement_files\lesson07\directinput.cpp(45) : error C2227: left of ''->CreateDevice'' must point to class/struct/union i:\languages\nehe''s game programming\lesson 8 3d movement_files\lesson07\directinput.cpp(45) : error C2065: ''lpdiKeyboard'' : undeclared identifier i:\languages\nehe''s game programming\lesson 8 3d movement_files\lesson07\directinput.cpp(55) : error C2227: left of ''->SetDataFormat'' must point to class/struct/union etc... etc.... I have tried to resolve this thru the Dinput8 library but that seems to be okay. All other libraries are also okay its just this d*&^%d direct input that fails all the way through the compile. I am a bit of a new-comer to C++ after growing up from Visual Basic, so any assistance would be very gratefully received.
Advertisement
okay - perhaps I''m answering this to the 100 millionth time -

have you :

linked all libs properly
the newest version of DXSDK (*bah*) installed
all the header files included
not accidently set the active project settings to release and forgot there to link the DX shit ???
I hate signatures !!!
Thanks for the reply,

The problem was a corrupt header file! Not quite what you suggested but at leaset you pointed me to the right path ;-)

Thanks
Greg

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement