How do you compile an OS?

Started by
14 comments, last by Promit 22 years, 2 months ago
ELF is the most recent of these, so I''d recommend it. Unfortunately it''s not so good documented.

Darkening
Advertisement
well I a few people have already explained most of this but
you don''t realy need a compiler/linker that is custom writen...
but you do need one that can generate a flat binary.... no headers no OS specific libs (just about everthing...)
ummm NASM (a open source assembler could be use) gcc (built as a cross compiler)... and the list gose on
as far as testing... its fairly easy to write your own screen IO functions.... so you can just use them for testing...

I''ve got a bunch off sources for boot-loaders(some that load custom binnarys others that load elfs exe com ect) miniOSs howtos on toolsets elf header stripers and such.... if you want I can e-mail them to you...
The Great Milenko"Don't stick a pretzel up your ass, it might get stuck in there.""Computer Programming is findding the right wrench to hammer in the correct screw."
great milenko, how abouts sending them to me too gavcoates@btinternet.com

I looked into it a while ago and started making my os (YabOS = Yet another bloody OS) but never got past the "YabOS is now loading..." stage
Gavin Coates
[size="1"]IT Engineer / Web Developer / Aviation Consultant
[size="1"][ Taxiway Alpha ] [ Personal Home Page ]
Cool! Couldn''t you mail them to me? I''m always interested into OS development.

nilsreichert@gmx.net

Kneelz.
try my "hello 32" page.. it will put x86 into "flat mode" and you can write your main os program in C.. the page explains the whole thing..

http://www.geocities.com/bpj1138/hello32.html

have fun!

--bart
Email to me also!

royp@stoga.net
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement