Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Whats the difference between Window::Action or WindowAction?

This topic is 5794 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm writing an engine, and have looked at other engines to get an idea how to do it. Often I see functions like:

Engine::Init {
    // Code goes here

}

and

Engine::Kill {
    // Code goes here

}

What's the difference between doing this or just making the functions:

EngineInit {
    // Code goes here

}

and

EngineKill {
    // Code goes here

}

So, what's the difference and which one is "better"? What pros/cons do they both have? Thanx in advance for answering. P.S.: I was not sure where to post this message, so please don't flame me if you think it's not in the right forum... Edited by - Subotron on January 31, 2002 9:58:12 AM Edited by - Subotron on January 31, 2002 9:59:40 AM

the difference is simple Engine::Init(..){..} is a member function of class Engine(OOP) and EngineInit(..){..} ist a global function(non OOP)
because you''ve asked this question I assume you don''t really know C++, so you should not start coding an engine. intstead learn C++.

My basic C++ skills are not what they should be indeed... I switched from VB game programming to C++ and did not have the patience to learn it all again from scratch

I''ll buy a basic C++ book soon...

I already know quite a lot about C++ but OOP was beyond my knowledge... guess I should start learning it

Thank you for the help