Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Isometric vs Square-maps

This topic is 5796 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys! I''m currently planning my next game project and I''ve a rather general question about tilebased games: I can not decide wich kind of maps i should use! The most easiest ones would be normal (non isometric) squares. Then one could use diamond-shaped fields or, the third possibility, hexagonal fields. What are your opinions about advantages and disadvantages of the different ideas? These questions interest me most... Where are the (dis-)advantages of isometric vs normal squares? Why using hexagonal ones? What''s best idea for a strategical round based game? Whats about making tiles that fit together regarding the graphics? Do the different ways need different amounts of gfx to achieve a ''homogenous'' Just write everything you think is important regarding this topic! I''ll be gratefull for any hints :o) cya lithander

The best choice for a turn based game is a hexagonal grid, especially if your strategy involves distances of movement. If you look at a square grid, the diagonal distance is different than the distance from top to bottom and left to right (the diagonal distance is longer). If you are using eight way movement in a square grid, the units will not be the same distance in all directions. If you are using four way movement in a square grid, the units will be the same, but it will be too restrictive. But a hexagonal grid has the same distances on all six directions, a lot better.
Like you said, a hexgrid is going to be harder to program... I''ve worked with hexagonal grids, and read about a shortcut that helped. If you use a triangle grid that can be put over your hexgrid, you can use Pythagorean theory shortcuts. If you draw a dot in the middle of every hex in a hexgrid, then connect them, you have your triangle grid which resembles a chinese checkers board.