Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Crawl

OpenGL OpenGL tutorial for the 3d guru

I''m no newbie to 3d, in fact i''ve been working alot with directx. Now i wanna try out OpenGL (and maybe switch) but all the OpenGL tutorials i''ve found are for 3d newbies. I really don''t feel like reading thru 20 or more tutorials of basic 3d math just to get to the good stuff. Does someone have a link to a tutorial or anything that can help me? ---------------------------- "Now comes the mystery." Last words of Henry Ward Beecher (I have no idea who that is, but it''s a cool quote)

http://www.opengl.org/developers/code/examples/redbook/redbook.html

these all use GLUT which is a toolkit to make writing OpenGL stuff easier.

Use GLUT to learn it until you know the OpenGL stuff. These examples from Redbook (there is also a Bluebook) area listed by the functions or effects they create. Some are shit simple, some are a bit more detailed. Just look at most of them. Some simple ones so you can learn how they are called, and then the more complex ones so you can see how to load textures and create bezier surfaces and so forth, or enable the lighting and wotnot.

Once you get the opengl part on the head, you can stop using glut, glaux or glu and use a normal setup, (eg create window for win32 and so on).

Note that GLAUX is for windows (texture loading - handy). Also note that source for most of them is available so you can keep the bitmap loading function, or the perspective and not have to link the whole thing.

Beer - the love catalyst
good ol'' homepage

ps - in my opinion the hardest part with opengl is setting up a window (which is what GLUT is for). After you know how to make a window normally under win32 or what ever your os is, there isn''t anything hard to learn, except speed.

Oh, look in your compilers developers guide and opengl guide. Look for the performance tips section, or use the ones at SGI or NVidia. The OpenGL functions are damn fast, but you should call them in the right places and so on. The opengl guide (help file) will tell you what I am on about. Simple as hell to follow aswell.

Beer - the love catalyst
good ol'' homepage

Thanx dude!, those tutorials look pretty good. I''ll give them i try.

----------------------------
"Now comes the mystery."

Last words of Henry Ward Beecher (I have no idea who that is, but it''s a cool quote)