StarGate Game

Started by
5 comments, last by P11maf 22 years, 2 months ago
Hi im making a Game about StarGate Sg1 the TV show. i am looking for all the help i can get. i have realy only just started, and im working on a web site and it should be up in a week or two, what i would like to no if any of you good people would like to help my email is: lkp11maf@hotmail.com my icq is: 120870138 my aim is P11maf so if you are a big fan of stargate and would like to join a game drop me a call Is it Safe? Edited by - P11maf on January 31, 2002 2:55:27 PM
Is it Safe?
Advertisement
First, give more information about the game you are making. Otherwise you´ll have trouble finding people.
Second, Star Gate and all its characters is a protected trademark, so you´ll need permission from the holders of the trademark to publish a game (or even a website). I don´t know how serious they are about their rights, some other companies are.

THIRD: THERE IS A HELP-WANTED FORUM! please post there.
This is your first step into the game designer''s world, right? You so remind me of myself when I started out.

I''ve got news for you.

If you think you''ll be able to rip off a successful movie and tv franchise, funded by huge studios, and not get dragged out into the street and shot by a mob of angry copyright holders, then you are a naive person indeed (or just very dense). Even if you keep it non commercial, you''ll have a hard time stopping people from sueing you. As for publishers, they wouldn''t touch you with a barge pole.

Plus, there''s a nasty fact to face up to: Games using ideas from films, books or other media rarely sell well. I don''t think anyone could say exactly why, they just don''t. It''s probably because most concepts are suited to one medium only, and suffer badly if you try to transplant them.

Imagine if Citizen Kane or Metropolis was transplanted into a novel. It wouldn''t work, because the films do not rely primarily on story, but cinematic technique, which does not work in books. Strip that away, and the story is actually quite dull. Conversion to a game works in the same way.

If you want a best seller, or even just a marginally popular game, your best bet is with an original, likable idea. If you can''t think of ideas of your own, you won''t make a good designer, end of story.

This is just the way things are.
"If you go into enough detail, everything becomes circular reasoning." - Captain Insanity
could u post a link to the help forum
and it may not be a game it may be a mod
Is it Safe?
A mod would be just as much a trademark infringement as a full game.

Take care,
Bill
quote:Original post by P11maf
could u post a link to the help forum
and it may not be a game it may be a mod

you want to make a game but can´t find your way to the help-wanted forum? i suggest you do some learning first, read a few books, become familiar with google .. you know.
Ok, closed before this degenerates any further (Click on the Forums link at the top of the page to see all our forums. Please read the description on all of them before posting in any of them.)

[ MSVC Fixes | STL | SDL | Game AI | Sockets | C++ Faq Lite | Boost ]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement