Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

3d occlusion algorithms

This topic is 5797 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

has anyone links to average-level (not totally mathematical, not totally stupid) description(s) of fast and general-case 3d occlusion culling algorithms. though they should discribe rather detailed what to do and what to expect. interesting ones would be: beam-trees anti-portal-BSP (just heard about it, dont know what this is ) occluder-combining/joining and any hirarchical z-buffer stuff. what i basically want to do is: see if either out of AABB, bounding-sphere, view-parallel-circle/rect is partially visible. the simplest way would be to allocate a software-z-buffer, draw every shape with a constant z-value (taken from the farthest point) and to compare the occludee-covered pixels (taking the nearest z-value of the occludee) with the contents of the z-buffer. with "straight" z-buffer this would be slower than rendering then whole invisible geometry twice with any FAST "c-buffer with z-information" this should work, and i THINK that hirarchical z-buffers are kindof. any input appreciated, except on my bad english aaaah: i forgot: i dont want to draw STRICT front-to-back, since i want to do frustrum-culling (at least stage 1) with an "object-based" loose octree, and use the "loose-z-order" i get from the octree to draw "loose front-to-back". thx, bye, Edited by - foobar on January 31, 2002 5:30:37 PM