Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question about Tricks of the Windows game programming gurus?

This topic is 5794 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is this really a good book? I have it, and am currently reading it. I am on Chapter 5, does this book really teach you a lot? I only knew the basics of C++, the code structures.. does this really bring me into the realm of Game Programing? Thanks!

Why don''t you just finish reading the book and judge by yourself? If you''ve already spent the money nothing I could tell would make a difference, would it?

So, besides the basics of DirectX this book didn''t teach me too much I hadn''t at least heard about before, but it gives you examples on how to implement all the things you need to make a game and it inspires you to try out things you might not have thought about before...
Bottom line: great book for newbies that will save you a lot of pain when you try to figure out how to get things to work the way you want them to (e.g. collision detection, isometric engines, ai etc.).

------------------------------------------------------------
"To a computer, chaos is just another kind of order."

Can I suggest something besides the next book?
How about trying to implement the stuff you learned from this book?
I mean, I remember I was trying to code without learning anything from a book in QBasic. Since graphics were built in, it came quite easily.
Then C++ became daunting because in order to use OpenGL or anything, I also had to do Windows...
So I found OpenGL Game Programming. A great read that teaches you basic Windows coding as well as OpenGL coding...there is even some DirectX so that you can make a game with sound, music, and obviously input from keyboard/mouse/joystick, etc.
It is easy to read, and I would suggest it.
However, since you alreadyread about DirectX, I suggest you actually try coding some stuff on your own. Do some graphics demos. Make a small game, even a clone.
Get a feel for programming, and then get books like Game Programming Gems to see what you might do better or completely didn''t think of before.
Good luck!

-------------------------
(Gorgeous graphics)+(beautiful sound effects)+(symphonic music)+(no gameplay) != Good game

NEVER SAY THOSE WORDS!!! Flame wars will erupt and engulf the cosmos! DX is NOT inferintly better than OGL. The difference is that DX has a full range of capabilities (sound, input, graphics, network play) whereas OGL is graphics only... However, OGL is cross platform and slightly easier to understand.

Learn both. Program with what you feel more comfortable with.

Landsknecht

Maybe he wanted a flame war?

I don''t know about that book, I suggest online tutors also, although those can get advanced really quick. Do a search on this site, or use google, you will find lots of opinions.

P.S (lights fuse...)
opengl rules!