Athlon vs. Pentium

Started by
51 comments, last by Dev_Master 21 years, 8 months ago
Which Is better? An Athlon or a Pentium?
Advertisement
Not again!

Here are the responses you will get;
Athlon is suck, Pentium is win!
Pentium is suck, Athlon is win!
Athlons are hot. They catch on fire.
Pentiums are for lamers.
Athlons are faster.
Pentiums are faster.

Seriously, though, neither one is better. In general, Athlons offer a better price/performance ratio, and in general, Pentiums are less troublesome (e.g. you don''t have to worry about the AMD Reg Fix, VIA 4-in-1 drivers, and the like).

I''m sure I will get flamed by people on both sides now
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
goto Tom''s Hardware
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
quote:Original post by Martee
I''m sure I will get flamed by people on both sides now

Daily Euphemism: Think of yourself as an effective catalyst.

See, I was right.
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
quote:Original post by Martee
See, I was right.

No one has said anything flamish yet, how are you right ?

quote:Original post by Null and Void
No one has said anything flamish yet, how are you right ?

Aah! I am offended! That was a flame!
This isn''t a flame war.

I would like to know what the technical difference is, honestly. If it''s a flame war, it''s a bunch of people bad talking the _names_ "Athlon" and "Pentium." If it''s a technical discussion, you consider the voltage, cache memory (what is that exactly?), efficiency, and circumstantial performances.

By "circumstantial performance", I mean how a CPU is faster when 4 programs are running on 2 different threads than it is when 50 programs are running on 100 threads. No P4 will always move at 2 Ghz. It''s not going to happen. When you have the MS Office toolbar running in the background w/ a bunch of resident programs running alongside it, on top of Quake 3, that P4 will slow down to hog heaven (what is _that_ exactly?).

Also, the statement that an Athlon is better than a Pentium is actually true. The statement that an Athlon is better than a P3 or P4 is arguable. Older Athlon models move at 750Mhz, and newer models move at well over 1Ghz. Later Penium models move at 266Mhz, and the latest P4 reached a 2Ghz benchmark. So yes, an Athlon is better than a Pentium [1].
I doubt you will get a serious discussion here, we are mostly kids trapped in young adults/adults bodies, isnt it obvious from the fact that we all play and want to make games???

P.S.: AMD ROCKS!!!
is faster and cheaper.

Edit: changed Athlon to AMD, gotta love the whole company

Edited by - kwizatz on January 31, 2002 10:54:18 PM

Edited by - kwizatz on January 31, 2002 11:03:56 PM
Pentium is like a crappy import car. you have to rev up high in order to get power.

Athlon is like an american muscle car. all the power is down low.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement