New Artist to PowerRender

Started by
2 comments, last by paopow 22 years, 2 months ago
Ok.. i was reading the new Octree thing.. so does that mean that I can build an entire level in Max and export it to a game.. I do not want to use the heightfield map to generate terrian. I actually want to build it so I can have more control over it. Also, can I build any shape i want in Max and use it. I know that there are rules u have to go by when u build a Level for Quake3. I guess as an artist, I want to build a level without having restrictions such as only using boxes, spheres, ect. I''m also new to this engine and was using the demo. I was hoping someone could advise me so I can decide if this is the 3d Engine I want to go with..
Advertisement
Yes you can! Whats great is you can either use your mesh as-is for collision or you can make a simplified mesh, make the octtree for that mesh, and then use that simpler octtree with the more complex mesh. It works well.

Chris, it looks like your cool OctTree is bringing in interested customers. You better work on smoothing out the collision ASAP! I know i''m going to replace all the collision routines in my project with OctTrees, i''m just waiting for you to work out the kinks.

-Rich
I have a question. What is the advantage of using Octrees on a simple version of the model rather than using invisible BSP for collision and PVS?

1. its faster!
2. it takes less memory!
3. it avoids the id licensing issue!
4. its super-easy to make a collision mesh because its a standard 3d max mesh with no conversion to BSP needed!

The problem is its crapola buggy right now. I hope to the high heavens that Chris will fix it REALLY SOON .

-Rich

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement