Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kuphryn

Best UNIX/Linux C++ Editor

Hi. The spring semester began at my college this week. I registered for a "special" class that is not about learning C++, but it is about working in teams to solve problems using C++. We enter into competitions statewide against other universities. So this is a pretty serious journey I am traveling. We code in the UNIX environment. I have had previous experience with Linux including Red Hat and Debian. I do not have problems managing the OS. However, I have been using Visual C++ 6 and .NET only. I began using UNIX vi C++ editor this week. It is quite easy, but is tedious when it comes to coying and pasting. Anyways, what is the best UNIX C++ editor? Thanks, Kuphryn Edited by - kuphryn on February 1, 2002 9:59:00 AM

I kinda like vi, but if you are talking about X applications (as opposed to console apps), NEdit is probably closer to what you are looking for.

Edit: Bah! Beaten to it!

Edited by - Martee on January 31, 2002 11:21:00 PM

I personally do my C++ and Java (yes, my college teaches Java for some reason) coding in vim (which used to stand for Vi IMitation, but now stands for Vi IMproved). If I remember correctly, there''s not a visual mode for vi, but vim has one, which makes cutting easier.

I tried emacs, but, personally, the Ctrl+ and Meta+ key combos just got annoying, and slowed me down. vi/vim was more intuitive, at least, for me. However, with emacs, IIRC, you don''t have to change between modes to type and move.

CoderForChrist

I believe he was specifically looking for graphic editors ... with syntax highlighting ... mouse selection ... menus ... etc ... (maybe even plug in buttons to make and run your projects).

basically answer with what XWindows, Gnome, or graphical programmer''s editors are any good? a question i''d like to know the answer to myself.

Xemacs is my personal choice. All the key bindings from regular emacs work, but there is a button for most things, so you don''t need to know them. Also, it is years ahead of emacs feature-wise. (it got color codings years ago, and emacs just got them a few months ago)

Hey, thanks guys.

I program strictly in UNIX command and not XWindow. I am currently using vi, which I am used to now.

As I said above, I come from a Visual C++ environment. Even now I still prefer Visual C++ because it is easier to move around, modify specific code at specific sections because of the mouse.

What does emac has that vi does not? The programming professor/leader of the team recommend emac over vi. He said emac can emulate vi.

Lastly, why do developers prefer UNIX over NT environment? I find the UNIX environment (non-XWindows), primitive. Everything takes time including typing in long commands.

Premandrake: Yes! It is Team ACM.

Kuphryn

quote:
Original post by kuphryn
What does emac has that vi does not? The programming professor/leader of the team recommend emac over vi. He said emac can emulate vi.

quote:
Original post by kuphryn
Lastly, why do developers prefer UNIX over NT environment? I find the UNIX environment (non-XWindows), primitive. Everything takes time including typing in long commands.

Both of these points boil down to personal preference. Try both vi and emacs to see which you prefer. As for the second quote, generally developers like to develop under *nix for the extra reliability the OS offers. If you prefer a windows environment to a *nix one, then use a windows environment. I do.

If you want the best IDE for Linux, you should use Anjuta which you can get at:

Anjuta

Try it...

"And that''s the bottom line cause I said so!"

Cyberdrek

Resist Windows XP''s Invasive Production Activation Technology!

"gitty up" -- Kramer
/(bb|[^b]{2})/ that is the Question -- ThinkGeek.com
Hash Bang Slash bin Slash Bash -- #!/bin/bash

Use gVim, it''s Vim with the GTK+ frontend, it''s really nice (and to all the Emacs zealots, Vim has syntax highlighting, it''s vi that doesn''t (now if everyone who has every railed against vim due to that would read what I just wrote...))

/Mikael

If your looking for something along the lines of MSVC for Xwindows then you''ll definately want to look into KDevelop. It''s like Visual C++ with Visual Assist and WinTabs built in. Here is the link: http://www.kdevelop.org/

kuphryn: That''s great! What university are you at? I''m at Queens University in the east central north american division.

I was just wondering because I''m on the Queen''s team that''s heading to the world finals this year .

Anyone who is interested in the acm stuff should come check out http://icpc.baylor.edu/icpc or go to http://acm.uva.es/p for some example problems.

Gary

quote:

I for one no longer prefer unix. I used it for a long time, I''m adept at it, but I''ve come to the conclusion that for about 90% of the tasks out there, I can get it done on Windows faster. It takes Microsoft several tries to get things right, but Win2k plus the recent dev tools are just hard to beat.

My own opinions, of course.

Take care,
Bill

PS - When I was using unix, I used emacs.

Thanks.
Turkey gave an insightful perspective to Vi vs. Emacs.

[URL=http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?
catid=33&threadid=701805]http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=33&threadid=701805[/URL]

He said Vi is faster. He said Emacs has more features.

Console: I think it is clear that more developers mentioned Vi and/or Vim. I have not used Vim. What is the difference between it and Vi?

X: I saw more developers mentioning NEdit. I have not used any X C++ editor. I have used Vi through X''s console terminal, but that was the same as console.

Console? Use Vi (Vim?)
X? Use NEdit

Kuphryn

Andrew Nguyen: Hey, I forgot about your question. I am not sayng I do not use X. I do use X, but I see not big advantages developer C++ programs in X over console, yet. That is not how I see it now. Many members mentioned KDevelop, which is similar to Visual C++. Many members mentioned NEdit too.

Kuphryn