Best UNIX/Linux C++ Editor

Started by
21 comments, last by kuphryn 22 years, 2 months ago
Hi. The spring semester began at my college this week. I registered for a "special" class that is not about learning C++, but it is about working in teams to solve problems using C++. We enter into competitions statewide against other universities. So this is a pretty serious journey I am traveling. We code in the UNIX environment. I have had previous experience with Linux including Red Hat and Debian. I do not have problems managing the OS. However, I have been using Visual C++ 6 and .NET only. I began using UNIX vi C++ editor this week. It is quite easy, but is tedious when it comes to coying and pasting. Anyways, what is the best UNIX C++ editor? Thanks, Kuphryn Edited by - kuphryn on February 1, 2002 9:59:00 AM
Advertisement
I''ve grown pretty accustomed to NEdit.

I kinda like vi, but if you are talking about X applications (as opposed to console apps), NEdit is probably closer to what you are looking for.

Edit: Bah! Beaten to it!

Edited by - Martee on January 31, 2002 11:21:00 PM
ReactOS - an Open-source operating system compatible with Windows NT apps and drivers
Emacs all the way!!!
"Journies Lead to Knowledge and Passion Lights the Way..."~=NeuroMorphus=~
Personally I prefer emacs, but this is holy war territory . Just out of curiosity, is the special course the acm programming team?
vi

I personally do my C++ and Java (yes, my college teaches Java for some reason) coding in vim (which used to stand for Vi IMitation, but now stands for Vi IMproved). If I remember correctly, there''s not a visual mode for vi, but vim has one, which makes cutting easier.

I tried emacs, but, personally, the Ctrl+ and Meta+ key combos just got annoying, and slowed me down. vi/vim was more intuitive, at least, for me. However, with emacs, IIRC, you don''t have to change between modes to type and move.

CoderForChrist
I believe he was specifically looking for graphic editors ... with syntax highlighting ... mouse selection ... menus ... etc ... (maybe even plug in buttons to make and run your projects).

basically answer with what XWindows, Gnome, or graphical programmer''s editors are any good? a question i''d like to know the answer to myself.
XEmacs. Depending on whether your UNIX environment supports GNOME (which I doubt, even though GNOME is now the official Solaris desktop environment) you might want to try gVim.

[ GDNet Start Here | GDNet Search Tool | GDNet FAQ | MS RTFM [MSDN] | SGI STL Docs | Google! ]
Thanks to Kylotan for the idea!
jed.
char a[99999],*p=a;int main(int c,char**V){char*v=c>0?1[V]:(char*)V;if(c>=0)for(;*v&&93!=*v;){62==*v&&++p||60==*v&&--p||43==*v&&++*p||45==*v&&--*p||44==*v&&(*p=getchar())||46==*v&&putchar(*p)||91==*v&&(*p&&main(0,(char**)(--v+2))||(v=(char*)main(-1,(char**)++v)-1));++v;}else for(c=1;c;c+=(91==*v)-(93==*v),++v);return(int)v;}  /*** drpizza@battleaxe.net ***/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement