Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drummerboy

Books for learing C and Visual Basic?

Hi, I''m interested in learning either C or Visual Basic (currently undecided). I''d like to know what are some good books (good as in what is taught/how well it is taught, and not being overtly complicated or cryptic in its delivery) for learning these languages. My programming expierence is beginner/intermediate use of QBasic, doing a few simple text adventures and other little text based progs. I enjoyed it, and want to learn more on a more viable language, and eventually do some games and graphic demo''s. Thanks

OK, start with Visual Basic. Try "Visual Basic 6 For Dummies", by Wallace Wang. Uncomplicated text, simple to understand and funny. You''ll learn the basics of VB in a couple of weeks. Once you''ve done that, you might want to buy a larger VB book, with more advanced topics.

If you want to learn C (and bear in mind that the vast majority of games are written in C/C++), I highly recommend "C For Dummies, Vols I and II", by Dan Gookin. Again, the language is well covered, and difficult topics like pointers, file handling and structures are explained very well.

If you really want to flog yourself with C, try "The C Programming Language, Second Edition", by Dennis Ritchie and Brian Kernighan. They actually wrote C at Bell Labs, and this is the book they produced to teach how to program in it. It won''t teach you programming style or technique (it wasn''t designed to), and it does assume you have quite a bit of programming experience, but it is a clear, concise, and very well-written coverage of C.

iNsAn1tY - the place where imagination and the real world merge...
Try http://uk.geocities.com/mentalmantle - Now updated!

I wouldn''t have a clue about C books, except that there will be better books for C than there are for VB. I''m confident in saying that because I think that most of the VB books aren''t terribly great and you would be better off to learn from the free online resources.

vbexplorer.com would be a great place to start if you decide on VB (and no, I don''t work there )

Again, I don''t know much about C resources, I know that there are some great tutorials free online, but I''m also led to believe that there are some good books too.

Trying is the first step towards failure.

Indeed, books sux0rz your b0x0rz...

but they can be used as a reference, and often contain good, clean code. So I''d say, base your programming on books and learn the real stuff from websites

It''s good to start right though, so I advice you to buy a book...

quote:
Original post by Subotron
Indeed, books sux0rz your b0x0rz...

but they can be used as a reference, and often contain good, clean code. So I''d say, base your programming on books and learn the real stuff from websites

What a load of rubbish. Personally i prefer learning from books than off the screen, its easier on my eyes... If i were you i''ld skip Visual Basic and just go straight onto C. I recommend "C for dummies", simple, humourous, and certainly not dry reading like alot of C books. Bear in mind that there are 2 volumes.