RPG Battle System

Started by
7 comments, last by Lonely 22 years, 2 months ago
Ok, I''ve started work on a RPG type roam game. I''m planning on creating a set of maps that you can wander through, and during your travels, you''ll get attacked by monsters. Sortof an RPG sans story (just doing this for experiance, not really planning on adding much story to this) Anyway, my question is that I''m trying to figure out how to sort the maps for the battle system. It seems like BSP wont really do much good, cause it''s mostly a one room environment. It seems like some sort of culling should be going on, do any of you know what sorts of calculations go into battle system maps? -Lonely
Advertisement
I think we need a better description on the types of environments you'll be dealing with. Are you imagining Final Fantasy style battles or do you need more extensive "arenas?"

Edited by - TerranFury on February 1, 2002 6:55:43 PM
I think graphically the arenas will mostly be similar to Final Fantasy 7/8 though MUCH bigger, allowing for extreemly ranged attacks (cannons, catapults, large magic, etc...)

Also, Multiple battles can occur in one arena. So your group will sometimes split into two or three smaller groups and fight monsters that way. (kinda like the end of FF7)

So I need to be able to render quite a few polygons...

That help?

-Lonely
Has anybody on this forum even done an RPG?

If so, how did you sort your battle maps?

I''m leaning towards a Quad/Octree sort method, but I''m not sure how effective that''ll be.

-Lonely
quote:Original post by Lonely
Has anybody on this forum even done an RPG?

Do MUDs and/or tabletop RPGs count ?
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Heh... uh... sorry, but no

I meant 3D RPG''s

Though, by 3D RPG, I only mean the battle system. I dont care about the world system at this point.

-Lonely
I just started playing FF7 again. It looked to me like when you were in a battle, the background setting was just a picture splashed onto the background. Then the characters fight in the foreground. I may be wrong, but that seems like the easiest way to do an FF7-like battle. I can''t remember the end of FF7 too well, but I know what you''re talking about. I just didn''t really use multiple parties very much because my one party was strong enough to take the entire boss down.
The battles in FF7 & 8 are in full 3D

The camera moves, rotates, and zooms around the arenas. The characters are 3D, the Monsters are 3D, The menu is 2D.

Your game may be set to the "fixed" camera type, this keeps the camera in one place when you fight enemies. (not the effect I want)

-Lonely
Hum ... let me see ...
use an octree for the terrain and the sky , this octree can also be used for your players and monsters . Make an sphere around your characters , if they are inside a particular octree node that intersects the view frustrum , test if their sphere is inside the frustrum. I think you could also do some tricks like ... imagine that your terrain has a big crater in it , when the camera is inside that crater it wont see a lot of the terrain around it so you can discard some terrain pages. Use simplification , backface - culling and some far away fog. Hummm ... no more ideas ...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement