• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seriema

How did YOU learn DirectX?

This topic is 6043 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! Just curious on how everyone here learned DX Did you go a course, buy a book, or spend hours and nights here at gamedev.net tutorials and chat/board }+TITANIUM+{

Advertisement
There are unimaginable resources out there !

*TUTORIALS
*FORUMS
*ARTICLES
*GRAPHIC MANUFACTURER WEBSITE
*SEARCH ENGINE (google=best)
*BOOKS (cost a lot)
MAGAZINES
NEWSPAPERS
SCHOOLS (rare)

and more like the FBI training, but hey ! that's top secret

I think that's all. All the items that helped me have a little star at their side. So 70% of these resources helped me a lot, but I am not a professional, so maybe I don't know the "way", but this is mine and I think it's fine. It's a way where I learn something everyday and where I want to learn more, surpass myself, search deeper, optimize, speed, learn, HA !!!

Well, here is my post

cya next time !
PS:[I tell you cya next time because I encourage you to visit daily our little community to learn if you want]

/* Bullmax */
-------------
Reality has many forms : good and evil, black and white, ying and yang.

Edited by - Bullmax on February 1, 2002 8:37:18 AM

I learned from the SDK tutorials, and then just branched from there. Tutorials help, of course, but books are certainly not necessary.

Z.

Books,
followed by online tutorials to reinforce the books,
followed by articles on GameDev and Gamesutra, but they are more for reinforcement (cool to know stuff).

Of course, I cannot claim to know DirectX yet. I have yet to see the SDK tutorials, though.

Many people would argue with me on this one, but I went from Allegro->SDL->DirectX. Allegro and SDL present you with some of the basic concepts regarding 2D graphics, so they both really helped me out.

I actually learn DirectX while learning to program! It took a while and the code wasn''t very nice but still the game is (and was at first and only release )almost 100% bugfree (and close to 1 mb of code)... I pretty much learned it by looking at the SDK and I also got a little help from here.

Johan Torp - http://www.destruction.nu

You need to learn to separate stuff which is technique from stuff that is specific to DirectX. Many of the questions asked in forums like this have nothing to do with DirectX and much more to do with people not knowing enough about graphics programming, their target OS, networking etc.
Working through the SDK samples and the documentation is important. But in equal measure, reading books purely about maths, graphics, algorithms etc is also important - and nothing to do with DirectX!.

As for me personally - I''d seen some of the old WinG stuff, and had done plenty of practical stuff on other platforms - I started at a new company working on a game product for Lego, got handed a copy of the SDK and had to learn from there.

Using just the SDK samples and docs I had a playable breakout clone on the second day of using the SDK. (See the first point above - I already had a sound knowledge of graphics programming, games etc - the terminology was mostly familiar since its common with other SDKs on other platforms). During the actual product I had to learn the idiosyncracies of DirectX, Windows and consumer gaming hardware.

Over the years you learn the limitations and oddities of graphics cards etc. Being a professional game developer does have its advantages in this regard since I get access to "secret" and pre-release information about hardware (including bugs/problems which aren''t made public), I get to go to conferences such as Meltdown where I can speak to the DirectX team one on one etc.

--
Simon O''''Connor
Creative Asylum Ltd
www.creative-asylum.com

I probobly took the worst route of all. I thought DirectX was a seperate program, yes program. I bought tricks of the windows hoping it was going to teach me stuff in 3D GameStudio type thing. Then I noticed it used C++ but I figured it was okay because directx was so much different. Well, it was a pain in the A$$ because I had so much trouble working out what the heck pointers and everything are. The sad part is I never read about C++ until about 3-4 months later. I simply used DirectX-no command line programming or anything. Then I read up on C++ to find out all I could. Then I bought a few more books. Before I made a commitment to DirectX though, I tried out other API''s like SDL and OpenGL. Nehe was a fun experience...still have all of those examples self typed.

Now when I want to learn something, I prefer actual source. Documentating someone elses code is a lot of fun actually. I documented a few DXSDK examples. Then from the documentations I learn. Algorithms are also fun. Well that''s my history. Oh and by the way, I learned that the way I used to learn is wrong. Now I''ll do a little research before I attempt anything.

[Edited by - kmsixpence on October 17, 2005 7:14:41 PM]

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!