Reasons openGL might be running slow?

Started by
6 comments, last by Dradcor 22 years, 2 months ago
ok, I''ve leanred how to program openGL so I could use it for a game I''m programming. So far it works, but it is running SO FREAKIN SLOW! I don''t have that many triangles to render, and even when I drasticly reduced the number of triangle, it still ran rediculously slow. I even tried rending just one triangle fan, and rotating it, and it still runs so slow its stupid. I''m talkin one frame per second. I''m using a Voodoo3 AGP, and the rest of my computer is competant as well. Unreal runs fine using the openGL drivers. It must be something I''m doing wrong in my code. Is there sothing I need to do to make sure hardware acceleration is used or something? Any input is welcome.
Advertisement
are you using windows XP, cause my voodoo3 runs my GL apps slow as shit (like 3 fps), yet opengl games like unreal/quake2 etc run fine.
Are you using a hardware accelerated pixel format? Some (such as a stencil buffer with 16bit colour, on nVidia cards) aren''t hardware accelerated, so it will fall back to software rendering.
Are you reselecting the rendering context every frame? Anyway, maybe you should download one of the tutorials by NeHe (doesn''t really matter which), and then check the framerate.
i believe most ppl stick the voodoo opengl driver (whatever thats called in the same directory as the app + rename it to opengl32.dll)

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html
Well I found one thing that was slowing it way down. I was selecting the video mode to be 32bit color, and the Voodoo3 can''t use hardware acceleration in 32bit color

I think another thing that might be happening is that every time I draw a triangle fan from my vertex array, I think the entire vertex array gets transformed by the model matrix. I''m not sure if this is happening, but I think this sometimes happens with D3D.
some one posted a link before to a site in the general forums a week ago.

the site was for an fps counter for opengl apps. It found that under XP, microsoft doesn''t use OpenGL, instead it passes it to Direct3D which halves the frame rate.

I haven''t used this, and I don''t have winxp, but if it is true then it could be your reason.

Beer - the love catalyst
good ol'' homepage
Beer - the love catalystgood ol' homepage
>> It found that under XP, microsoft doesn''t use OpenGL, instead it passes it to Direct3D which halves the frame rate.<<

yes u have to download new drivers for your card (which u should do anyways every so often)

http://uk.geocities.com/sloppyturds/gotterdammerung.html

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement