• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Frame rate differences

This topic is 5921 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I read a review on FlightSim2002 yesturday, and they said somehting like "it runs somethly all the time at 15-20 frames, which is as much as 30-40 in FlightSim2000. How can frame rates be measured differently? Framerates are Frames per second, or am I wrong. How can a second be different "long". thx

Advertisement
FPS: frames / seconds
so the seconds don't really change length, but the number of frames during that second do.

They probably meant that it ran as smooth as FlightSim2000 at those frame rates.

Edited by - thefez on February 1, 2002 10:42:21 AM

Well, actually that''s impossible.

I think he/she meant you don''t really notice much difference. Maybe this is because of a good framerate independent movement in FS 2002 or just a really shaky 2000 version...

The answer to that, my friend, is a profound one, and it lies within the design of PC style computer systems, VGA design and the inability of VGAs to issue vertical blank interrupts. That is why, no matter how fast they make a processor to be, they may never achieve true vintage arcade machine smoothness (they haven''t so far).

The fact is that IBM style PC''s DO NOT OPERATE IN REAL TIME, and that''s by definition. What does ''real time operation'' mean? Well, books have been written on the subject, but the answer to that one question will definitely answer yours and open up your game-programming mind like you never thought possible. It did mine.

ps: you might want to drop Yss a note. He''s got lots more info on that than I do (and, as he taught me, that''s part of the trick behind REAL arcade style games).

One way they may have done it (I haven''t played the game so I can''t be sure) is anti-aliasing (of sort) the screen so it smooths the movement on the screen out. This would degrade quality though. Or they are using a blending technique instead to acheive the same effect which would look better. Ironically this would probably drop 30fps to 15fps.

Only methods I can think of.

Beer - the love catalyst
good ol'' homepage

Thanks for all of your replys, I think I understood how they did it now.
I actually never played it either as I''m not a flight-sim enthousiast, but my father is so I just read a bit through one of his magazins and found that article on fps that I couldn''t understand from a programmers point of view.

• Advertisement