• Advertisement

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mai

Voodoo 3 fullscreen problems in Lesson 13

This topic is 5958 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I am having problems running lesson 13 in fullscreen mode on my Voodoo3 3000 graphics card. I am running Windows 2000 SP2 (with the most recent voodoo3 drivers available) and I can''t get it to run in Windows 98SE either when I boot into it. I am basically compiling and running the code that NeHe provides, but the precompiled program with the source files results in the same problem. I have managed to get fullscreen mode working with both Microsoft''s software opengl renderer and a friends Geforce 2MX card, but I cannot get it to run on my Voodoo 3 at all. Windowed mode works fine and draws everything like it should be. However, if I switch to hardware mode, I am presented with a black screen. This screen says black until I hold the escape key down for around 5 seconds, where the program will eventually quit and return me to the desktop. I have tried playing around with the code and changing background colour and drawing a quad on the screen just to see if that made anything appear. Again, it works perfectly in windowed mode, but in fullscreen mode the screen stays black for a while and then goes red (the colour I had set the background colour to) for a few seconds, then reverts back to black. There is no sign of the text or quad being drawn. I''ve narrowed the problem down to something to do with the following lines of code: glPushAttrib(GL_LIST_BIT); glListBase(base-32); glCallLists(strlen(text), GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE, text); glPopAttrib(); (please note that I just typed that bit it, so if there''s any mistakes, please ignore them ) If I comment out that entire section of code, it works fine in fullscreen mode, drawing the coloured background and the quad. If I comment out the glCallLists line, the screen flickers like crazy in fullscreen mode, but I still get output on the screen (despite stupid amounts of flickering) Do I need to reset the display list memory when they are created? And if so, how would I do that? If I leave the whole section uncommented, I get the black screen again. I realise that the Voodoo3 OGL drivers are poor, but I''m just interested to see if there''s a solution to this problem. Also, is this a good method to use for drawing overlays (like a HUD) to the screen, or should I stick with textured quads? Thanks in advance for any help!

Advertisement
2 questions :

1- did you modify the code in this lesson ?

2- what is the "text" ?

text may not be null, and may contain only "printable" characters.

No, it won''t work even with unmodified code. I''ve tried the following:

* The precompiled exe that comes with the source for lesson 13. Gives a blank screen in fullscreen mode.

* Compiling the lesson 13 source myself. Gives a blank screen in fullscreen mode.

* Modifying the code, as in adding some lines to draw a quad on the screen to see if I could get any output at all. Same result.

The text is what the original tutorial had in it, this is the line that should produce it:

glPrint("Active OpenGL Text With NeHe - %7.2f", cnt1); // Print GL Text To The Screen

I''ve even tried glPrint("aaaa"); instead of the above line, and I get exactly the same result.

Hope that helps a little, thanks for looking into it for me.

Well, it's a bit weird.
I got a similar problem under WinNT4 : fullscreen mode did display only green & blue (never red) but windowed mode worked perfectly.

I guess that you need better drivers. sorry.
Both the video card and the OS (btw, what is your OS?) can be the source of the problems.

Edited by - vincoof on February 1, 2002 2:25:08 PM

np, thanks anyway. In all honesty, I need a new video card, but I''ll make do with it for the time being.

My OS? It''s Windows 2000 SP2 normally, but I''ve got 98SE installed on my second hard disk and I get exactly the same results with that.

Oh well.

Thanks for your time.

the text tuts from nehe and from the game programing in open gl book don''t work for me and i have a voodoo 4. so could some one please help me.

I had the exact same problem with my Voodoo3. Alternate drivers solved it. Im sorry, but i dont remember which .

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!