Turn based MMO's

Started by
1 comment, last by Korvan 22 years, 2 months ago
Hi all, I came up with an idea for implementing an online line turn-based empire building game, and I''d be interested in getting some feedback on it. Each turn is divided into two sections (non-combat and combat) and each section occurs over a 24 hour period. That is, a player has to meet a 24 hour deadline to log on and complete his turn, otherwise the server will handle it for him. The first section of the turn deals with troop movement, and the various other usual empire mangement tasks. When the player has managed his empire to his satisfaction, he submits his turn to the server and awaits the next section. (This is kinda like a play by mail with a 24 hour turn around). The next 24 hour period gives the player a chance to resolve and combats that resulted from the last sections movement phase. Rather than using a complex scheduling scheme to match up the various players who have conflicts, the following system is used. Each battle is fought 3 times. The first time is fought with the server controlling all sides using any preset options that the players have assigned to their troops. This establishes a baseline outcome to the battle. Then, each player fights the battle (anytime during the 24 hour battle period) with the server controlling the opposing forces. Once all players have fought the battle (or defaulted by missing the deadline), the server compares all the results and comes up with a final outcome. I haven''t come across any similar systems in use, but then again I haven''t looked to hard either. As far as MMO games go, this system doesn''t seem too ambitious and could provide some interesting game play. Anyhow, I welcome all comments, suggestions, etc. Korvan
Advertisement
Do you think that there would be such a great difference in outcome between player controlled and computer controlled battles? Sure, it´s nice to give the player the feeling that he is really doing something, but if you average out the endresult you´ll only risk that the player actually notices differences and stops trusting the system.

I would rather focus on letting the player have greater influence on the settings of his troops, let him specify modes of attack against certain enemies in certain strenghts, pre-set tactics etc. Then you can just let him watch the AIs fight it out.
The military turn would then be used exclusively for battle setup and unit management, which I think would be more than enough.

You might also put the troop movement phase into the second of the two sections, the first section focuses on building, research and diplomacy. That way you´d have about equal weighting for both.

You make a good point. Also, after a certain point, most players would likely figure out how to best exploit the AI and their wins over the AI would cancel each other out leaving the result from the original AI vs AI fight.

Actually, with the computer fighting all the battles, their is no need for a two phase system. Before beginning the next turn, the player could simply review all the battles his forces was involved in. This would allow each turn to happen in a single 24 hour period instead of taking two days. Which eliminates any confusion regarding what the current phase is.

Thanks for you advice.

Korvan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement